HELP Advice needed

kndmercer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2014
United States
I recently bought a 270 gallon glass aquarium it is 9.7'x1.5'x2.8
The bottom piece of glass is broken but, still intact. My thoughts are cutting a piece of plyboard the size of the tank and putting on the under side the glass. Reinforcing the cabinet with bracing every 6" or 8" the length of the tank. Then rather than replace the glass put another piece of glass or acrylic on the entire bottom and sealing it along the sides and between the pieced. Has anyone done this or do you think it is possible to do a repair like this. I am concerned with removing the glass and replacing it...afraid after a complete disassembly I will have failure on the sides.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
I've seen it done but it really is not a good practice. There will still be a huge risk of further cracking or leaking. Plus having the bottom broken you run the risk of dumping the entire tank onto your floor. Your best bet is to take the tank apart (not just the bottom), replace the cracked part and rebuild it or buy a new tank. If you've never built a tank I'd go option two, anything else can be dangerous to you and your family.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store