Reseal.. is it worth it?

Skurj

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2013
GTA Ontario Canada
I've got a 55g with a 36x18 footprint. Its an old tank with some pretty thick glass. I noticed on a few of the seams particularly at the bottom of the tank along the sides that there looked to be mold or something between the silicone and the glass. I have since removed all the silicone with the exception of the stuff between the panes of glass. Is it worth getting sealant or adhesive and redoing that much, or is it just a ticking timebomb? The tank isn't worth completely pulling apart and redoing from scratch, as its definitely a fishroom only tank.
I only need the tank to last until my next upgrade within the next year or so.. (but we know how those plans sometimes go)

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
depends how that silicone is between the panes. if its in rough shape then resealing may not be enough. personally though I think any tank is worth keeping unless the glass is actually broken. My advice is reseal the tank, fill it maybe half way and see if you get any leaks within the next week or two...all you can really do if a complete tear down isnt what you want to undertake.

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
If the sealant between the pains is good, I'd just pu t a new filet of sealant in all of the joints. Like stated above unless the glass if broke, I'd keep it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Skurj

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2013
GTA Ontario Canada
Thanks for the advice. The glass is a bit scratched but it is really thick (takes 2 people to carry it empty!), which makes me want to hold onto the tank if I can, plus its a slightly oddball size. I'll redo the fillets and see how it holds.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Thanks for the advice. The glass is a bit scratched but it is really thick (takes 2 people to carry it empty!), which makes me want to hold onto the tank if I can, plus its a slightly oddball size. I'll redo the fillets and see how it holds.
+1, some TLC and you might have a brand new to you tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store