Bichir swim upside down

ikkoo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2014
Singapore
Hi!
I have total of 7 bichirs 3 to 4 inch in my 80 gallon tank cycled long ago.
One of my bichirs is weird. He is upside down and still breathing and moving its fins.
Their diet is only market prawns.

I have transfer him to a bucket withairpump. Hope he do well.
Anyone have suggestions ? Whats wrong with him ?..?
There were no visible injuries or any kind of marks ..

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
water params? is he still eating? is he bloated?

Also, only shrimp isn't a great diet for your fish, you need to vary it up with fish, shrimp, and pellets at least.

ikkoo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2014
Singapore
water params? is he still eating? is he bloated?

Also, only shrimp isn't a great diet for your fish, you need to vary it up with fish, shrimp, and pellets at least.
ammonia, nitrite were 0. nitrate 40
Im not sure if hes eating when i feed others. It just happen after i feed my fishes including bichirs.
He is not bloated.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
ammonia, nitrite were 0. nitrate 40
Im not sure if hes eating when i feed others. It just happen after i feed my fishes including bichirs.
He is not bloated.
thats strange...is he breathing heavily? in my experience a fish upside down never ends well, but keep him quarantined and see what happens. Ma ybe dose his water with epsom salts and a litle prazi-pro if its available to you.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
If you could get some pics that would be helpful for solving this problem. From the sound of it though it sounds like an air bubble. Put some aquarium salt in there (about half the dose for whatever the bucket size is) and turn the air pump off or down to where there is barely anything coming out

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
If you could get some pics that would be helpful for solving this problem. From the sound of it though it sounds like an air bubble. Put some aquarium salt in there (about half the dose for whatever the bucket size is) and turn the air pump off or down to where there is barely anything coming out
+1 thats a very good possibility.

TimnKasey

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2014
Norman, OK
I know this isnt my post, but im new to bichirs.
An air bubble? Like in his body? How does that happen?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
To be completely honest I'm not a 100% sure, but the last time it happened to me it was because my fish was having trouble eating a silverside that was a little too large for him. So to me it's probably when they ingest something that's filled with air and as the food is dissolved the air stays. There's probably a few other ways, but like I said I'm not 100% sure

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Ive heard the air bubble thing is a problem with bichirs more often than you'd think. Like what dr. B said, they gulp air during feeding and it becomes kind of like a gas bubble in their body, causing them to swim awkwardly or look almost as if they are on their death beds, only to come back fine the next day. I've never heard of it making them swim upside down completely however. but its always possible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store