Best flooring in fishroom/Rec room

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I keep my fish tanks in my basement, which has a poured concrete floor. I have been doing some remodeling down there, and I will be building my large plywood aquarium down there. So this room will have a big 700g aquarium, as well as 2-3 three other aquariums in the 90-150g range, as well as a couch, chairs, and desk. So it is sort of fish room, but I also want it to be a sort of Rec room/lounge as well, where I and others can hang out sometimes. So my question is, what would be the best flooring? I do have a tendency to spill water somewhat frequently, so I don't want it to to be easily water damaged - but I would also like to make the room more cozy and less "basement-y". Would some rugs probably be my best bet? Or are there other options out there?

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Not sure how much you are looking to spend, but there are tiles that look like hardwood floors. Beautiful, extremely hardy, and not hard on the wallet. Not sure if you have to put a subfloor though before you lay the tile.

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
They make a vinyl "hardwood" floor as well where the strips are vinyl they look like wood though. and some area rugs not around the tanks would do well for your feet.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Check out stained concrete. It looks really really amazing if done well and is as durable as it gets. I have been to a few basement that use it and it has a good feel to it.

Then you just throw in a few area rugs, or maybe a small section of carpeting, and call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
^Is that real tile you have there?...I'm guessing no underpayment is needed if the floor is poured concrete?
Epoxy coating like what is used on garage floors might be an option for the op too.

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Check out stained concrete. It looks really really amazing if done well and is as durable as it gets. I have been to a few basement that use it and it has a good feel to it.

Then you just throw in a few area rugs, or maybe a small section of carpeting, and call it a day.

This! Your already have the best floor for the tanks just nee to spice it up. I used to be a cement finisher by trade, acid stain and epoxy coating were very popular with my clients for indoor applications. Wish i had some pictures on my phone for reference but like mentioned a quick google search will bring you to where you need to be.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
This! Your already have the best floor for the tanks just nee to spice it up. I used to be a cement finisher by trade, acid stain and epoxy coating were very popular with my clients for indoor applications. Wish i had some pictures on my phone for reference but like mentioned a quick google search will bring you to where you need to be.

This for the win... acid stain and clear epoxy coating will definitely spice up the concrete look and provide a very durable finish.

If you have a lounge area you can always add a rug to soften up the floor.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
uploadfromtaptalk1415671530728.jpg
I did this over hardwood in my living room. Real easy to DIY. Just go to a place that sells remenants and mix and match. Get it for 2-3 sq ft a dollar. Lots of video on YouTube. Should be even easier on concrete.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store