Thinking Ahead

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
[SUB]I'm already beginning to get some things for the large tank I'm getting between December and February and while I was walking through the woods today I browsed the "driftwood" (mainly severed large roots) selection and brought back quite a large piece. This piece won't even fit in my 75G because of width and height but I think I'm going to put it in the big tank (the massive tank will have dimensions of either 5'x2'x2', 6'x2'x2', or possibly 6'x3'x2'). Hope you guys like it :D (by the way, that white thing behind it is a full size propane tank).
[/SUB]image.jpg

I have a few questions for you guys about this though to figure out whether I can and/or should use this piece.
1) How long do you think this'll need to soak to eliminate tannins and to just plain get it to sink? Also what are some things I could soak it in?
2) It's mostly hollow. I feel like that's a good thing since it'll give a hiding spot for fish and it'll take less volume. I also am afraid if something gets stuck in it and dies how am I going to get it out. In your opinion is it being hollow a pro or con?
3) Any idea how many gallons that'd take up?
Thanks for addressing my questions.

image.jpg

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Advantage being hollow, if something dies inside; bad luck.

Getting pieces to sink can be a nightmare, but cos its hollow this means you could weight it with something inside

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Just measured it. About 46-48" long from tip to tip, 18-20" wide, and around 24" tall.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
1 - asking how long it will take a chunk of wood to sink is like asking "how long is a piece of string?". tell me how long the string is and I can give you an exact date.
as far as what you soak it in - water.
2 if something gets stuck inside, you pull it out. there are so many answers to how that it's another string length question. cut it, break it, tug it, yank it, dig it, saw it, dump it, kick it, smash it, throw it, tap it, shake it, spin it, toss it, scrape it...

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
dive, did that come out from being submerged or was it actually in the woods?

I soak all my pieces in a salt brine, call it peace of mind with any living critter that may have been on the wood.

As for time, my peices that I gathered 5 months ago are still floating haha, it depends on the wood, if its waterlogged already, all that stuff

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
dive, did that come out from being submerged or was it actually in the woods?

I soak all my pieces in a salt brine, call it peace of mind with any living critter that may have been on the wood.

As for time, my peices that I gathered 5 months ago are still floating haha, it depends on the wood, if its waterlogged already, all that stuff
Wasn't submerged, just found it by some trees. Yeah I think it'd be a good idea to add some salt to whatever I soak it in, I don't think I even have a container that big! If I can't sink it in time for the big tank then I'll just save it for the pond, give the bullheads something to spawn in :).

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
If you cannot get it to sink anchor slate to the bottom of it and bury the slate in substrate. then just set rocks over the edges of the slate.

If I have pieces to big to boil I set them in the tub and poor boiling water on them repeatedly. I am too impatient for long soakings

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store