Flow direction for rays

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Rebuilding my outputs because I'm moving the tank, right now my outputs both face left when you're looking at the tank, they're roughly 1.75 feet away from each other, and on the right most wall of the tank there is a powerhead pointing left. Figured if it's strong enough, it could circle nicely. What do you guys do for flow? I was thinking of possibly having 1 output point to each front to spread the flow, but then where's a good place to stick the powerhead? Not too sure if rays thrive in a lot of current facing one direction (river) , i have a feeling they wouldn't mind it but probably do better in a balanced flow (lake). Tips before I secure the outputs?

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
I would spread the flow. In a tank it is almost impossible to get directional flow unless you can suck out a huge amount of water from opposite end. Even with all heads pointing left the current will hit the wall and cause a circular motion in tank along with dead spots.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
If i point the flow to each side, where would you put the powerhead? In the middle at the back pointing at the front? Along side the output with the larger head from the plumbing?

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I prefer to set my tanks up river style. Overflow on one end, return on the other with Korilias for added push towards the overflow side.... Seems to be less dead spots.

My big tank has 2 overflows in the back wall. I only use 1 of the overflow boxes. There's (4) 2" bulkhead fittings going to the filter. Water is returned on each end of the tank via (2) 4300 gph pumps, then the end furthest from the overflow has (2) 3250 gph Korilias right under the returns.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Rays strir up gunk so it's easy with whatever you do really. Just have enough flow

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store