125 gallons, what can I get?

PEANUTBUTTER

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2014
Canada
I have a 6ft 125 gallon with sand substrate,marineland canister filter (c-360) and 2 emperor 400 filters along with heaters keeping the water at 80 degrees Fahrenheit so I was going this weekend to get some Africans but I don't really want to get the super highly aggressive ones so in your opinion which Mbuna are more peaceful and active and how many should I get? I was also thinking of getting a few haps and peacocks

BasicallyBane

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2014
Fort Wayne, IN
Nice tank set up! I'm jealous. All Africans are crazy and aggressive, but it gives them a personality instead of lazy fat fish that all get along. If you want Africans I would suggest picking a lake, Malawi, tanganyka, and stocking it with fish from one lake and not mixing. You can mix, but it's a pain, speaking from experience. The best advice I can give is make sure they are all the same size. The largest one will be alpha. With that size tank, I'd suggest peacocks and deep water electric haps, electric yellow and blue labs. I'd stay away from mbunas/zebra. They are ugly in my opinion and always chase constantly. If you want to see the full potential of a fish, get one male and a bunch of females of one kind and their colors are phenomenal.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
That tank is a great size for all male hap/peacock :)

PEANUTBUTTER

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2014
Canada
I wanted a all male peacock/hap tank but they are so expensive and I kinda want my fish to breed so in case someone does get killed I won't have to pay so much money to buy another one
I know I want a venestus male and 2 or 3 females along with small colony of yellow labs but my local pet stores don't really sell peacocks or haps and if they do it'll be for like $70 or $80.

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Check for online vendors and local breeders.

I never buy african cichlids from lfs. I get mine from an importer with direct contacts in Africa. Really not into the hybrid fish thing..i want purebloods. Thats my personal taste.

Do some searching and gl!

Damz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2015
JHB
I have found over stocking your tank generally that will help with the aggression in he tank.

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
If your not set on lake Malawi, I've found a lot of the Tanganyikan fish to be a little more mild. You could do a small colony of fronts and some comps in a 125

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Funny what's available one place, and not another. And what they go for.
Peacock haps are usually expensive here, and plentiful, but other haps are often not.
At our local club auctions, lemon yellows end up being almost every 3rd bag, and are very inexpensive, as can be other mbuna types.
Tanganyikans seem to almost command a high price.
I picked a bag of 4 Nimbochromis livingstoni juvies for about $5 last year.
The dominant male looks like this now

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
You could combine a harem of yellow labs and Pseudotropheus acei with the Venustus. Maybe also 1m:4f Aulonocara Rubescens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store