Reedfish\Ropefish tail biting (*Erpetoichthys calabaricus )

BobCat

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2007
Ireland
I have four reedfish in a 5ft took along with assorted other African species.

Recently I've noticed the two largest fish displaying odd behaviour that I haven't noticed before. The largest male (olive colour with large anal fin) grabbing the largest female (tan colour with smaller anal fin) by the tail with his mouth. The female then tries to swim away dragging the male for a few seconds before he let's go. The tail isn't damaged and they just act as if nothing happened.

Anyone else notice this behaviour or have any explanations for it? Is it just general fighting or anything more?

BobCat

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2007
Ireland
uploadfromtaptalk1415742978133.jpg
This is the two fish.
uploadfromtaptalk1415743023625.jpg
This is the male.
uploadfromtaptalk1415743068541.jpg
This is the female. Tank is 16" wide. Male is slightly longer but thinner.
uploadfromtaptalk1415743174931.jpg
And this is there home.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
How many times have you seen it happen? What are your feeding patterns and are either of them recently added?

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
My ropes have bit just about everyone in my tank. It generally happens at feeding time though. They've terrible eye sight so if they smell food near something they bite it. No real damage so far, though my veil angel is missing a couple inches of fin from his turn at the rodeo.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BobCat

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2007
Ireland
I've noticed it twice. Both within the last few days. I'd wasn't during feeding either time and both times it involved the same fish.
No new additions to the tank recently and both these fish have been in about 6 months.
Feeding pattern: fed once a day on massivore (some chopped prawn once or twice a week).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store