Looking for some tank ideas

ty.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
NC / MA
It has been about 8 years since I left the hobby do to leaving for the military. I'm finally out and settled in again and looking to start a tank again.
I'm looking for some ideas. I'd like a tank that is relaxing and peaceful to watch- but not fish that are are constantly flying around.
I kept a lot of oddballs before and am now looking to keep cheaper- and possibly more community based fish. I recently got a 30g tank for free so I will be setting that up.

A couple ideas I tossed around:
-planted community tank with tetras and ??
- small African cichlids
-Something interactive that could fit in a 30g like a puffer
-Some small native fish- but I think even sunfish will outgrow a 30g.

I don't plan on upgrading the tank so a group pf fish that will be comftorable for life. LEt me know some ideas or lets see some pics.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Native darters. By far the most interactive small fish I've owned, plus they are pretty, peaceful, and depending on where you live you may be able to catch them yourself. I will always have my darter tank because of those things and especially the added dimension of catching them myself. It is such a fun alternative to just buying them!

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
A freshwater puff like a arrowhead, Congo, hairy or humpback could work in the 30g. They are lurkers and sit around but at the same time beg and interact for food.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Like the idea of puffers. How about some dwarf puffers.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ty.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
NC / MA
Native darters. By far the most interactive small fish I've owned, plus they are pretty, peaceful, and depending on where you live you may be able to catch them yourself. I will always have my darter tank because of those things and especially the added dimension of catching them myself. It is such a fun alternative to just buying them!
Any pictures/videos of your tank?

ty.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
NC / MA
A freshwater puff like a arrowhead, Congo, hairy or humpback could work in the 30g. They are lurkers and sit around but at the same time beg and interact for food.
Yea, I like the idea- but now I am rememebering that puffers have to usually be solitary. I really want a tank with a few fish, and some activity outside of feeeding time.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
You mentioned tetra's ....

We have a 30g with 8 Congo tetras 4 male 4 female.

it's planted with low light java and milfoil.

Don't get me wrong we love our 160 but the wife and I often joke that is anything happens to GARfield the 160 is getting the 8 Congos and a bunch more of them.
We have 8 tanks but the Congo's are our favorite "small" fish and with their teeth it's fun to watch them chew pellets.

So YOU GUESSED IT, I vote for Congo tetras.
Rich

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Yea, I like the idea- but now I am rememebering that puffers have to usually be solitary. I really want a tank with a few fish, and some activity outside of feeeding time.
Yeah they need their own tank. Vicious little feeders! Mine is pretty inactive which works out great since it is in an office that Im not in all the time. He does react when he sees me and begs for food.
Most likely a puffer is not going to work if you want a community.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I second the darter idea! I have 6 native tanks (2 with primarily darters) and I can just sit and watch them all day. They're very beautiful, personable fish and do great in smaller tanks (10-40G).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store