55 gal column stocking options?

BasicallyBane

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2014
Fort Wayne, IN
What would be a good marine fish to add to my 55 column? I am new to marine fish and want to have a simple reef tank with simple corals and live rock. What do you guys think? I know it should have what I want in it but I'm wondering what a nice group would be and can be with coral.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Possum wrasses, small gobys, dotty backs, basselets, hawkfish, or clowns.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reactions: twcp

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Most if not all are captive bred.

Sent from my iPear

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
It depends on how long and, what you are transporting them in. My favorite lfs has a 12 gallon mono cube stuffed to the brim with corals, inverts, and several fish and the city had a movie night at the rec center all had did was drain half the water and unplug everything, put the water back in and it was a hit.

Sent from my iPear

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
Hey, we're practically neighbors! By the column designation I'm guessing you mean 24" tall. In the marine world height doesn't get you more stocking, the footprint is what counts. I would be limiting myself to 4 or 5 3" max fish in that system. Clowns and gobies are a good choice. Look at live aquaria at the nano fish section, their compatibility chart is helpful too.
When transporting a long ways do nothing special for a couple to 3 hours, if longer go with large bags and count on reacclimating (the ph will likely be lowering in the bags over time). I like to do this by lowering the ph in a qt tank to match the bag water and then raising it to the same as the display over a couple of days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store