How to cut thick glass?

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
I have a 180gal tall rimless that is apart and it has thick glass. I was thinking of cutting it down and making a smaller tank for a community I have. I have cut .25" glass before but how would one cut that thicker glass?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Anyone?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
If glass is tempered, and it should be, you cant cut it. Should also be 1/2 in thick or better, hardware store glass cutter wont do that either. Local glass/window shop should be able to cut it for you if its just standard plate glass.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Glass cutting is pretty much the same no matter the thickness.

Brace your piece well, score it on one single pass the length of the piece with a decent glass cutter.. pull the piece to the edge of the table and weight down the piece at the score mark on the table side (with a piece of wood or something) and then push down on the over hanging piece with some leather gloves.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
If glass is tempered, and it should be, you cant cut it.
Glass for a tank should not be tempered, especially not in a home aquarium situation. There is no need for it, it raises the cost and does very little for the strength of the tank. All it does is remove the glass's flexibility making it more likely to crack.

But I agree with Spiff, it is exactly the same as thinner glass. Be sure to only use one pass when scoring it, I've seen way too many people make multiple passes thinking that would help

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
The bottom panel of Marineland tanks are tempered.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
That they are, as well as the sides on some of their 55's. Completely unneeded. THey do it so they can get away with using thinner glass, not really a safe practice.

As for OP's tank, a 180 tall, rimless tank is not a standard tank, someone custom built that, it is highly unlikely they would have used tempered on it.

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
you can use a wet tile saw too!

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Used glass is harder to cut than new glass. It has to be clean before you even try to cut it. You need a good glass cutter, some lubricant, and some glass running pliers. Better off taking it to a glass shop and have them cut it to size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store