You've heard of fish TB, how about Schistosomiasis?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Not trying to spread pandemonium here...

I was trolling the Internet and saw this meme
uploadfromtaptalk1415806967682.jpg
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schistosomiasis

I did some digging and its a real Thing. Its a nasty parasite

I would assume the snails have to be wild caught and be from a contaminated area. Aren't most aquarium snails and nuisance snails farm raised?

Has anyone heard of this?

Just a thought

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Schistosomiasis is more something you would contact in a third world country where there is little to no sanitary water supplies. The worm lives in a snail where it can be passed to humans only if you drink infected water.

Very interesting part on the rite of passage in young men in Egypt. So many interesting things to learn...

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I figured it may be more environmental. But you never know.

I think it's Always good to keep things like this in mind if you get sick with a strange illness. It's good to tell your doctor you keep aquarium fish. Especially if you have dermatological issues or issues localized to your hands and forearms. There's lots of bacterial and fungal bad stuff that can be in fish tanks.

I recently had an excruciatingly painful rash develope out of nowhere. I thought it might be fish TB. Lucky me, it was only shingles lol. Nobody has ever been happy to have shingles. Except this guy

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
I have had minor bacterial infections (they even call it fish keepers hands) on my hands before from my tanks. Not much I can do about it I work with my hands and almost always have some form of open wound on them. I just soak my hands in excessively hot water after I work on my tanks now and have had no issues in I started doing so

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The version here in WI causes what is commonly known as swimmers itch, which only lasts a short time in humans, I've had it after scuba diving in some snail infested lakes.
Even these benign types here, can cause fish to be slightly scarred.
If you walk into Lake Victoria and some other waters in Africa, you risk blindness.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store