Where do you store wet dirty filter socks?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
It takes me about 2 months to have a full laundry load of dirty filter socks. I have been throwing them outside to dry out, but I have been catching hell for that. What do people do with wet dirty filter socks? I don't have room for a dedicated trash can. I have been tossing them inside a cabinet when dry till I have a load. My washing machine can easily hold 25 and I don't want to wash them every week.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Just a tip.. you're getting soap residue on your socks by using them in the washer. It obviously hasn't been enough to kill your fish, but its not a good thing either.

There used to be a scam where they sold plain plastic balls as some magical device for unlimited washing soap... they simply functioned based on soap residue left in washer and on clothes to work.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I don't disagree that there is a possibility that a minute amount of soap get on them. There is a LOOOONG thread on here about filter socks, and most everyone on it washes them in the washing machine. If the wife lets them. I do double wash and double rinse, with bleach. It isn't enough to matter after 3 years

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I had the same problem. Now I just wash mine at the laundromat down the street for a buck. Keeps peace on the home front and I don't have to store stinky dirty socks anymore. Once they're washed I just store them in an open Rubbermaid in the garage. I don't dry them.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
Just a tip.. you're getting soap residue on your socks by using them in the washer. It obviously hasn't been enough to kill your fish, but its not a good thing either.

There used to be a scam where they sold plain plastic balls as some magical device for unlimited washing soap... they simply functioned based on soap residue left in washer and on clothes to work.
no matter what there is little left over so before i wash my filter socks i would do a empty run on my Wash Machine..

when dirty socks are taken out of sump i would just hang it outside my backyard and air dry it for a day or two then i would take it back into my house and put the socks into my 5 gallon home depot bucket with LID and wait till i collect all the socks to fill a load into my WM...

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
I dry mine out and keep in a covered tote outside . When a get a full tote I fill with warm water / bleach and hand wash . Isn't that hard turned inside out and dry , most of the big dirt mess flakes off before washing .

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I swap out all my socks at the same time. 9 clean replace the 9 dirty which go to the wash then hang till needes

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store