Quick heater and clay pot question.

the big kahuna

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
new york city
I have a HUGE clay vase with a large opening. Can I place my 300watt heater inside the vase so it won't be seen without the heat cracking the pot/vase and will the heater still effectively heat the tank b

image.jpg

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
If the thermostat is in the heater, that would not be good. The clay pot would tend to concentrate the heat (despite having an opening) and thus cause the heater to shut off before the whole tank had reached the proper temperature. The pot might also retain heat longer, causing the thermostat to take longer to turn on as well.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Never tried this personally, but I am 99.9999% certain it will heat the tank just fine. As for cracking the vase, I'd highly doubt it

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If the thermostat is in the heater, that would not be good. The clay pot would tend to concentrate the heat (despite having an opening) and thus cause the heater to shut off before the whole tank had reached the proper temperature. The pot might also retain heat longer, causing the thermostat to take longer to turn on as well.
Excellent point.

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
I was going to say it'd be a non issue if you stuck a powerhead in there to move water out of the vase. But after seeing you have an air stone already it would be fine. I'd worry about a fish going in there to rest and sitting on the heater though. Do you have a guard for it?

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store