Lowering ph in larger tanks?

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
I am wondering how to go about lowering ph in larger tanks? I would prefer not to add chemicals to my tank if I don't have to. I am at 7.6 and would just like to come down to say 7.2? I know I can shock my tank with chemicals but I don't want to use chemicals with Rays and having to do larger water changes all the time chemicals will get expensive. Is there anyway to have a lasting ph neutralizer that will keep the tank at a constant 7.2 even through my water changes? My well water is close to 7.2 but the tank is sitting at 7.6. The tank is also bare so I'm not sure why it creeps up like this.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
7.6 is fine for Rays. Don't bother to change it, stabile is better. Is the pH measured right out of the faucet? Versus the tank which is aerated.

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
7.6 is fine for Rays. Don't bother to change it, stabile is better. Is the pH measured right out of the faucet? Versus the tank which is aerated.
Yes it is. The tank has three canister filters running on it so it is cycling quite a bit, approximately seven times an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
set aside a cup of tap water for 24 hrs and then test the Ph. As tap water aerators the ph can go up. If the tap then is same as the tank I wouldn't mess with trying to change it from 7.6 to 7.2.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store