Any experts in a fishless cycle?

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
Exactly what the title says. I just began my fishless cycle, my very first one in my first tank aside from small betta tanks. With the bettas I would always put them in as soon as I got the tank and not even think about a cycle. Now I'm becoming more informed though and trying to do this right. I'm looking for someone or some people that could help walk me through it if I update my parameters and progress. I've been looking online, have plenty of resources, but would still feel better having some go-to help.

Tank is 150 gallons, I'm using Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride. Last night I added in 5 teaspoons, checked it twice at different times and had an ammonia reading of 3-4 ppm. So now I just continue checking and wait for the ammonia to hit 0? I didn't feel like taking apart my canister filter so this morning I took about half of a sponge from my bettas filter and tied it to the intake in the 150 figuring it can't do any harm and may help out some.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I mean....I'd dump some seachem stability or tetra safestart+ in and call it a day, you'd have a cycled tank in about 3 days. works for me every time. But if you are dead set on doing it the old fashioned way then ya, just wait. the bacteria will eventually build up to a level were you will start noticing a drop off in ammonia, a spike in nitrites, and maybe a few nitrates. Its a waiting game if you are doing the cycle that way.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
just saw the part about the sponge from your betta tank. If that tank was cycled then ya you'll notice a quick change in your water params. At least quicker because I imagine that betta tank is probably pretty small, but it will help jumpstart your cycle for sure.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Fishless cycling threads
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?224559-Cycling-and-You

Fishless cycling can take a month+ to complete. Getting the nitrites to drop to zero takes the longest time. Fishless cycling is an exercise in patience, but is well worth it. If you cycle the tank using 4 ppm of ammonia, (and keep adding ammonia to 4ppm when it zeroes out) you can be confident that your tank has more than enough beneficial bacteria to handle the bioload of whatever fish will be occupying the tank. Some experts recommend reducing the ammonia concentration once nitrites start rising. Either way works, but it will take time.

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
I mean....I'd dump some seachem stability or tetra safestart+ in and call it a day, you'd have a cycled tank in about 3 days. works for me every time. But if you are dead set on doing it the old fashioned way then ya, just wait. the bacteria will eventually build up to a level were you will start noticing a drop off in ammonia, a spike in nitrites, and maybe a few nitrates. Its a waiting game if you are doing the cycle that way.
If I were to add some safestart+ in there, would I continuously need to add it either during the cycle or after water changes or just the initial dosing to jump start the process?

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
Fishless cycling threads
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?224559-Cycling-and-You

Fishless cycling can take a month+ to complete. Getting the nitrites to drop to zero takes the longest time. Fishless cycling is an exercise in patience, but is well worth it. If you cycle the tank using 4 ppm of ammonia, (and keep adding ammonia to 4ppm when it zeroes out) you can be confident that your tank has more than enough beneficial bacteria to handle the bioload of whatever fish will be occupying the tank. Some experts recommend reducing the ammonia concentration once nitrites start rising. Either way works, but it will take time.
Thank you very much. Extremely helpful.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Just keep adding enough ammonia to keep it detectable. The nice thing is with a tank this big if you want to setup and more tanks all you have to do is put some sponge filters in your 150 for at least a month and then once you have a new tank just add the cycled sponge and you're instantly cycled, that's what I do for all 10 of my tanks and it hasn't failed once.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store