I need help settling a argument.

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
My friend who owns the local fish store in town says its pointless todo water changes every week and that he never has and his fish are all ways fine he does them maybe once a month. I told him I do 30% every week or 50% every 2 weeks whos right here? What benifits does one get from doing frequent water chages opposed to once a month? He says his water test perfect so why change it thats the big argument.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Your going to have a huge argument here because there are so many variable depends on type of fish, number of fish, and how many gallons. Basically how much and how quickly waste accumulate in the given amount of water will be different for everyone. I see people on here that do 70% water changes every other day. I am hoping that is an exaggeration otherwise it is wasteful and irresponsible. Some say they do it once a week others do it once a month I think both are right depending on there fish.

On one of my tanks I do 50% every two weeks on my other two tanks I do 50% every month. The ones I do monthly do have more algea but not to much my main display tank that I do every two weeks has no algea. Both tanks test fine as far as water quality.

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
The other half of my argument ia fish need the minerals from the new water and even if your water test ok there could could still be a mineral deficiency and he is using feeder fish every 2 or 3 days

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
Too many variables with types of fish, food habits, surface agitation, one of the main reasons to do water changes is to remove the toxins in fish waste and replinish nutrients in the water.
His filtration may be amazing, and wouldn't have to do many changes as often, but say if he had sensitive species such as freshwater rays he would need to. I know with my bichers I f I was lazy with water changes I would see cha yes in mood and growth

Sent from my HTC One X using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Almost with exception, doing more frequent water changes is superior to doing less frequent ones. Every water change dilutes nitrates and other pollutants that can stress fish and make them more susceptible to disease.

I try to do weekly water changes. LFS generally have lots of fish in too small tanks, so I'd hope that they embrace frequent partial water changes.

Matt

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
I usually do 25% watercahnges every week however I have been away for a while and left them for a good month with no issues with water quality. It was still crystal clear and in parameters. the sides of the tank were filthy with alge but nothing crazy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Ya when I am at school my tank goes 1.5 to 2 months without water change.

Although its 180 gallons with light stock and pretty heavy filtration.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
I have seen many LFS feeding fish their daily rations...and let's just say it isn't a bounty. Many LFS (Not All) feed their fish just enough to keep them alive...and consequentially small (except discus). Maybe their is a correlation between small feedings, small waste amounts, thus lower bio loads which reduce the amount of water changes needed?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Lol and a little bit of cost cutting.The shop I worked in years ago had a practice of tossing a few pinches a day of the cheapest brand of flakes that they carried.I once got yelled at for placing too much food in one overstocked tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store