Quarantining new fish

Kennerdell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2014
Florida
Didn't know where to post this. Anyway I was given a Bluegill from my friends pond. I would like to put him in my big tank with my Oscar but dont know if I should quarantine her first. She's healthy and doesn't show any signs of worms/flukes or other parasites. Should I quarantine first/how would I quartine? She's in a separate tank currently.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
yes QT. not only should you QT any new fish, you also have a WC fish which could bring in a whole host of new diseases your oscar isn't immune to. Quarantine, treat with prazi pro, and maybe something for external parasites and wait a few weeks and see.

Kennerdell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2014
Florida
OK,how long should I QT?

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
Not sure if they can be good tankmates long-term bluegills are usually way more aggressive than oscars.the higher tropical temperature might keep it amped up too

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Kennerdell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2014
Florida
Oscars and Bluegills live together here (Florida) my Oscar is already aggressive and the bluegill is smaller but not small enough to eat

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I usually keep new fish in QT for at least two weeks. There are some health issues that may not show up for four weeks or more. Comming from a pond I would tend to the longer peroid.

Also i do not transfer the qt water when placing a fish in a final tank.

Kennerdell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2014
Florida
She came from a pond made from tap water with leaves,alge and such... I read to treat for 1 week than give it another week

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
She came from a pond made from tap water with leaves,alge and such... I read to treat for 1 week than give it another week
hello; Not sure why being filled with tap water makes any difference. My take is that a pond is usually an outdoor thing, is this pond different?
Being outdoors there can be a lot of interaction with birds and other animals as a source of disease or parasites.

The bluegill probably was a wild native fish at some point and perhaps placed in the pond.

It's your tank and you get to run it any way you want in the end. Pick the QT method you like and keep us posted on the outcome.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
do two weeks to be safe. I QT my feeders from the bait shop for 2 weeks minimum with meds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store