New koliba Lap and CB endli... I think the endli is sick

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
So I just picked up two new additions for my juvenile grow out tank-- an allegedly WC koliba lap, and a cb endli. Unfortunately the cb endli is looking sick. He has white fuzz attached to various places on his body.
He was in a tank where he was being harrassed by larger polys when I bought him. His tail fin was all but bitten off. Any advice?

The whole pack was supposed to migrate to a bigger tank tonight, but now i am afraid of stressing him further. Gah, help!

CAM02991-1.jpg
CAM02993.jpg

CAM02991-1.jpg

CAM02993.jpg

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
If this is some sort of fungal or bacterial infection, are my others at risk?

ocellatus

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2006
Canada
Hard to tell from the pic, but sort of looks like he's losing his slime coat. Perhaps from the bullying and stress of transport? I would move the others and keep him in Q tank. Are there any distinct fungal patches?

O

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Looks like the slimecoat is coming off. I would put it in a Q tank bump up the Heat a little and use some aquarium salt. Should be fine in about 3-5 days. That happened to one of my new bichir some time when I was treating for bichir worms. Your case may be different the stages of mine were the first couple days there was only a little but of slime coat, then the next few there was a ton. On my poly and that had already fallen off. Then all of the sudden it was all gone. If you have the endli in the same tank as any of the other fish just treat them all just to be safe. As far as the Koliba its CB IMO.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
He actually looks a bit better now--I just returned home from running some errands and dropped in on my buddys lfs. (He had a free cannister filter for me!!!) I bought api fungus cure while I was there. Is anyone familiar with this product?

As for the lap, he is looking pale compared to the pictures. The paleness is stress related, of course. I bought him here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lapradei-Bi...171450178334?pt=Live_Fish&hash=item27eb3a1b1e

Do those look cb? He sent me ten or twelve other shots during our correspondence that I can fish up (pun intended) if necessary. Really cool guy, by the way. If you want one of these fellows he has a few left, as well as a teug. The lap looks very healthy and just nibbled at a piece of massivore soaked in a bloodworm juice/garlic xtreme coctail.

Off topic, but if you are having trouble feeding massivore jusy mix a garlic product with bloodworm juice and soak the pellets for 15 minutes or until they are mildly squishy- -all my polys love that stuff. Both of my ornates have grown from 4.5-6.25 since Halloween on this dish.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I personally would use either API General Cure or Prazi Pro. I used both and they work great. As for the laps yes they are CB. To my knowledge I haven't seen any smaller WC laps like that. The smallest WC lap I have seen is a 7"-8" or so faranah lap. They could be WC, but I personally doubt it.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I will give those a try. Unfortunately I cant pick anything up until Saturday. Hopefully his condition improves before then to obviate the need.

I figured he was cb and just shrugged. Hopefully I can get ahold of a wc koliba at some point for the sake of comparison. Im waiting on the stock in my 180 to hit the 10-11" mark before seeking anything else.

Currently:

11.5" sen
6.25" ornatipinnis
6" ornatipinnis
8" wc faranah lap (arriving saturday)
9-10" ansorgii (waiting on him to clear quarantine at a dealers store)

Juvenile tank:

4, 4" delhezi (giving two to my buddy at the lfs for his personal display tank)
3.5" koliba lap
3" cb endli

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Update:

One of the delhezi began to look sluggish and lethargic. It was almost floating in among the roots of a chinese evergreen that it frequents. In spite of two back to back waterchanges, my water params were not looking good.

I immediately set up a 37 gallon from storage using 50% water from my perfect param 180g and 50% tap+prime. I then added a bunch of gravel and large rock from the 180, and a large piece of driftwood from my axolotl tank. I traded the filter from their previous tank with the larger filter on my guppy breeder, let it run for a couple of hours, tested the new tanks parameters, and added everyone.

If symptoms persist I will treat them as necessary, but for now everyone is happily swimming around and exploring their new space.

They accepted massivore soaked in bloodworm juice, although the lap did not eat. I am not positive if the endli ate or not, but he is sniffing around at the last few pieces right now.

That was one of the most stressful experiences I have had since I began this hobby. Well, besides the time when I added a m/f pair of green terrors to my otherwise happy cichlid tank and woke up to find finless fish decorating the surface of my water. Note I was eighteen at the time, and thought I knew what I was doing. That experience taught me a lot about life in general.

Anyway, would you reccomend one of those medications over the other Doc? Do they each require that my filter does not run? I am going to set up their previous tank as a hospital in the morning, but I would rather dose their new home, so long as this is a viable option.

What preventative measures can be taken to avoid the various ailments common to polypteroids? Obviously clean parameters are a must. I will never make the mistake of using a sub-25g tank as a grow out home ever again. I was changing the water every other or every third day, and it still wasnt enough to keep ammonia below 1. And good god did the constant tampering bother the polys @_@

Sorry for the long post. Thanks, friends.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I would probably recommend prazi pro but both have worked for me. And both require that you take the media out of the filter. I am not sure how you would treat if you have only a canister as my QT tank has only had an HOB. And to prevent diseases and such reaching your tank its really as easy as just not introducing sick or harmful fish. I also add aquarium salt to all my tanks just as a preventative. I also use stress coat which has aloe Vera in it to help with any wounds if any occurs. As far as the ammonia what kind of test kit do you have? Because the API test kits are notorious for always showing ammonia.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Thanks for the info. I do, in fact, have the api test kit. I have had more than several .25 readings on my 180 that struck me as questionable, but I regularly get 0 readings on my 40g breeder axolotl tank. Temperature related, maybe?

@_@

Luckily, everyone seems to be back to 100% now. They are loving the new tank! I am assuming the issue was with the endlis slime coat. (S)he has a massive appetite today, and ate the majority of the tank's breakfast. Had to add a second breakfast. Maybe Ill name this one "pip."

Ill give the salt a try. How frequently do I dose? I remember reading somewhere that half of the box's recommendation is the norm.

Thanks again, Doc!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store