plant filter questions

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I am planning on using plant filters in a few of my tanks. I had a few questions.

Is diffenbachia safe?

How do I prepare a plant bought from lowes to be used as a filter? I am aftaid of accidentally getting a minute amount of fertilizer in the tank and killing my plants.

Thanks,

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Bump for unsolved mysteries.

Fiitchy717

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2014
Wv
I dont know if this is necessary, but if it were me, i would remove the plant from its original pot and THOROUGHLY rinse the root system and re-plant as u wish. I cant imagine theres really anything else you could do, other than rinsing the entire plant... Which probably isnt a terrible idea either.

Again, just my thoughts on it.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
As far as planting potted plants; I always just remove the plant from its soil, thoroughly wash the roots and the plant then put it where I want it, haven't had a problem yet.

(Edit):
As far as diffenbachia, I couldn't tell you for sure because I dont have it in any if my setups. I do know that it can be poisonous for humans, so I'd assume it be bad for four legged animals as well but when it comes to fish, I have no idea.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I ended up ising philodendron. I soaked it in a prime/tapwater solution for 2 days after removing all of the soil, then added it tonight. Looks great!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store