New tank

agra perera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2014
sri lanka
Hey guys its me again the first qu I put up qas mno good so here goes again.
Im building a reinforced concrete tank in my back yard. 17'(L)* 3'(W)* 3.5'(H). Im going to install two glass windows in the front. The rest is concrete. So my question is how thick should the glass be. Will 12mm hold up the pressure

Sent from my SM-T211 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Here's what I posted a week ago.

"I'm getting 29mm (3.8 safety factor) down to 24mm (2.5 safety factor) for glass thickness 42" tall."

If 12mm plate glass is used, I'd take even bets it would fail before it's full. As for tempered glass, that is a good question, which I wish I knew the answer to. It "might" work is the best I can say and if you have access to a sheet of glass that would fit that project, I think it's worth a lot of investigation. Tempered glass is much stronger than plate glass, so if a glass manufacturer told me it would work, I'd believe it.

IIRC, there are formula that allow one to take the modulus of elasticity of glass and convert that into safety factors. Since the elasticity is known for plate and for tempered glass, one should be able to do the math. (My dad who was an architect could have done it, but I failed to ask him when I could have.) Since tempered glass is not normally a good choice for aquariums due to cost, very few people have this issue.

However.....GlassCages (see online) makes tanks and has offered tempered glass. You might be able to find out the glass thickness they use on very tall tanks and see what that is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store