Anyone have Black Devil Spike Snail (Faunus ater)?

cheeseb0y

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2006
Indiana, USA
I'm curious about these guys since an LFS near me has them. I was looking for Gold Rabbit Snails (Tylomelania gemmifera), but can't find them locally. They apparently act a lot like Malaysian Trumpet Snails, so my main question is if they will eat live plants or just go for dead stuff like MTS. I'll probably give them a try either way.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
that species looks awesome, never heard of it before

I think it might be fine, but it also seems to be a slighty brackish species perhaps so plants might not be something comparable with its environment. Even if its not requiring the extra salt the fact its going to be one of those "free swimming" offspring inverts is sad cause a whole colony of these would be sick.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

cheeseb0y

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2006
Indiana, USA
Update: don't bother. I have an awesome looking 2" snail that lives somewhere in my substrate. I see it for maybe a couple of minutes every day when i turn the light on. Nice to know it's still alive, but in terms of being around, it just isn't.

L!NUS

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2009
Burbank, Ca
They do eat plants.

I much prefer my Rabbit Snails (which also eat plants if not well-fed).

If you're looking for Rabbit Snails, I recommend Bob's tropical Plants.

cheeseb0y

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2006
Indiana, USA
Up to almost a year now in straight FW, no added salt of any kind. It's also gotten settled in and I see it more often than not when I turn on the light in the morning. Still a good looking snail.

Reactions: J. H.

PUHUCBLMX2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2013
Costa Rica
any notable growth in that time? do they eat plants? how long after lights on do they hang out? does a red spectrum light upset them?

cheeseb0y

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2006
Indiana, USA
No noticeable growth, but it was pretty close to full grown at time of purchase.

I haven't seen it go after any plants at all.

It seems to stay out for a half hour to 4-6 hours, so it's possible it's not really caring about the light at all. I haven't tried any lights other than my old dying CFL and my new LED setup, neither of which seems to have made a difference.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store