Some Advice Needed Urgently

davion2183

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2012
Indonesia
Hey guys, need your advice urgently. I have a 165 gallon mixed African Cichlid Tank and when i meant by mixed is peacocks and haps, and 1-2 mbuna.

Now when i first bought them, some are already in the 4-5" range and someare in the 1-2" range. Now a friend of mine who is looking to change his tank inhabitants gave me a gorgeous 5" male venustus. I wanted to put em in my tank, but i am worried he will gobble up the smaller fish.

My question is that do i take the risk and put him in right now,or should i move the 1-2" fish into my 35 gallon which serves as my planted shelldwelker tank and grow em out there?

Hope to hear your views and advice regarding this matter. Thanks.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
If they will fit in the venustus mouth, chances are it will try and eat them. It's really that simple.

LilBabyEmma

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 26, 2009
Morgantown
I've had 1" fish in the tank with 6" fish and they become friends it all depends really how the fish is raised I add small fish into my tank all the time and nothing happons a little chasing. But I have never fed my fish live foods or anytjinf

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
And do you keep predatory species, such as N. venustus?

I've kept a lot of Africans, over a lot of years, and I have never kept a Nimbochromis of any species that would not kill & eat a fish small enough to easily fit in its mouth. There's no such thing as a friendly predator.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
And do you keep predatory species, such as N. venustus?

I've kept a lot of Africans, over a lot of years, and I have never kept a Nimbochromis of any species that would not kill & eat a fish small enough to easily fit in its mouth. There's no such thing as a friendly predator.
+1.

3" venustus with 1.5" fish (half its size) is one thing, but you can't compare that to keeping a 5" venustus with 1-2 inch fish. Not the best odds for the little guys. Especially in a large enough tank a lot of predator haps (which venustus are) won't bother fish with enough size and may not seem that aggressive, but that doesn't necessarily change their behavior toward snack sized fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store