sponge filter

jkmvan12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2009
michigan
I just recently got some sponge filters...what is the quickest and easiest way to cycle these...I've never used them b4

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Yes...two established tanks running
Hello; Stick the sponge filter in an established tank for a few weeks. It will become seeded with the beneficial bacteria (bb). I am guessing this is what you mean by "cycling a sponge filter".

If you plan to use the sponge filter in an established tank there is no more to do than stick it in.

If you plan to use it in a new setup, then the new tank setup will have to be "cycled" the same as any new setup. You have the advantage of having established tanks on hand. You can seed bb into the new tank with most any solid material from the established tanks. The bb will be on solid surfaces, substrate, plants, filter media, decorations and such.

I have often set up bare tanks quickly with only a bubbler operated sponge filter. I like to keep some free floating live plants like hornwort around to throw in such a tank. A bit of substrate in a mesh bag also works. It can still take a bit of time to get a good culture of bb going and in balance with the fish load, but having a starter culture of bb from the established tanks speeds things up a bit.

good luck

jkmvan12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2009
michigan
Thank you so much...another quick question...I have a 120 gallon and a 55 gallon... how many sponge filters should I use for each tank?...
I have 5 of the Hydro Sponge V... the box says they are rated for aquariums up to 125 gallons...and are these good filters?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Thank you so much...another quick question...I have a 120 gallon and a 55 gallon... how many sponge filters should I use for each tank?...
I have 5 of the Hydro Sponge V... the box says they are rated for aquariums up to 125 gallons...and are these good filters?
Hello; First I am not familiar with the Hydro Sponge V, so cannot comment about that particular brand. However the sponge filter is a pretty simple design and I have not ever run one that did not function. My current sponge filter bases are decades old and may go for a while yet. I have replaced the sponge parts from time to time.

To get better comments on what you hope to accomplish with the sponge filters, it will be helpfull if you give more up front information about the setups in the 120 and 55. In general a sponge filter is a good biological filter but does not mechanically trap detritus (mulm, waste) for removal from a tank. Is the tank bare? planted? substrate? stocking level? Any other filtration?

jkmvan12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2009
michigan
tanks are not planted...the 120 has a mated pair of dovii...male 14" female 6-7"...55 gallon has 2-4"jags..and 2-4"jag/dovii hybrids...
gravel substrate in both with some typical decorations...

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
tanks are not planted...the 120 has a mated pair of dovii...male 14" female 6-7"...55 gallon has 2-4"jags..and 2-4"jag/dovii hybrids...
gravel substrate in both with some typical decorations...
hello; As you did not mention any additional filtration designed to physically trap detritus, you can remove a lot of the stuff during water changes with a siphon.
Without live plants you may need to do water changes more often.

From time to time I take the sponge part off and wring it out in a bucket of water. I do this in the bucket during a water change. There should be plenty of beneficial bacteria left in the sponge after this, at least i have not had any issues from this.

I am going to add a link to an article about cycling that may help provide some more usefull information.

Good luck
Hello; Here is a link to an article about nitrogen, bb and cycling. It is an involved read.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/nitrogen_cycle.html

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store