Which bichir for this tank?

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
I'm in the process of cycling my tank and have changed my mind about 1000 times on a bottom dweller for it. Going between a synodontis eupterus, geos, a bichir.

It's 150 gallons, 72x18x28, I know I want to have an oscar, silver dollars, and a severum.

If I were to get a bichir which do you think would be the most compatible both with the other fish and the size of the tank. The two I've mainly looked into were delhezi and Senegal.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
How about a guinea lap and Delhezi?always look great in a tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
almost any of the upper jaw bichirs except the weeksii, teugelsi, and ornate should do awesome in the tank. If you wanted you could probably get more than few. What size is the oscar?

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
almost any of the upper jaw bichirs except the weeksii, teugelsi, and ornate should do awesome in the tank. If you wanted you could probably get more than few. What size is the oscar?
I don't even have the oscar yet. I'm only three days into the cycle, just getting my plan together. Which brings up another point, how should I go about introducing them to the tank? All the other fish first, grow them a bit and then the bichir?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
It really depends on the size of all the fish involved, but yes thats pretty much what I would do. I would put them in a grow out until they are either large enough to fend for themselves in the larger tank or until they have a 6th sense for food. I have had smaller bichirs prevail with larger bichirs because of their competition for food. And likewise I have had larger bichirs do not so well because of their inability to compete for the food. So basically just make sure the bichirs are big enough to not get eaten or harassed and able enough to compete for food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store