How To Quiet a Loud Sump?

boxingscene

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2014
Las Vegas
The sump on my 400 gallon is loud as hell. Sounds like someone is running the water for a bath. It's loud when the water is hitting the sump/bioballs. How Do I quiet that down? On my 750 gallon the sump noise is almost no-existent but it's set up a bit different.

Should I extend the pipe to go down maybe into the water? Add more bioballs to raise the level to the pipe opening?

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
I would try extending the pipe into the water.

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
It would be more efficient if you threw some bio rings or matrix on the pump side, got rid of the bio balls and pads, added a filter sock and longer drain pipes. Bio balls aren't really designed to be used as a submersible media

Unattended Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
near but far
Agree with above, as I had bio balls in my sump before but ditched them. Current setup includes bunch of sponges and a lot of filter floss in first chamber, second chamber 1cubic foot of k1 kaldnes, n last chamber got about 30# of matrix. Sponges in first chamber muffle the splashing.

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
I can see the water level is at the top of the bioballs. Even though you have 1 layer of material its still making a splash. I would stack more filter material the rest of the way up to the pipe outlet. That type of material you have is not very firm its soft and when wet it flattens. In my sump I have bioballs with filter material stacked on top 6" high. The type of material I use is very firm and course 2" thick used in pond filters its white in color. It really quites the splash sound.

boxingscene

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2014
Las Vegas
I can see the water level is at the top of the bioballs. Even though you have 1 layer of material its still making a splash. I would stack more filter material the rest of the way up to the pipe outlet. That type of material you have is not very firm its soft and when wet it flattens. In my sump I have bioballs with filter material stacked on top 6" high. The type of material I use is very firm and course 2" thick used in pond filters its white in color. It really quites the splash sound.
What about extending the pipe to get it closer to the material?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
A full lid will dampen the noise and keep that floor dry, looks like it splashes out easy...check your area for scrap lexan/polyarbonate, its ridgid so it doesnt bow and holds up well to drilling/cutting holes for plumbing. Even if its cut up alot for equipment it will help. Ur losing alot of heat down there open top also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store