Changing substrate

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
I would like to change the substrate in my tank. Is there any way to do this without breaking down the whole tank and basically starting over? Any brilliant ideas? Right now I have a sand and gravel mix.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I did mine with fish and water still in, I highly suggest you gravel VAC the hell out of the substrate before removing, or it'll kick up a s*it storm of dirt!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
What do you plan to change the substrate to?

If you don't want to break down the tank, then just take out a small portion of the old substrate each week during water changes or whenever you do water changes. Just remember to turn off all the filtrations and leave it off for about a half an hour after to let all the sand settle. It'll be a slow process, but you wouldn't have to breakdown the tank

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I would recommend not removing all the substrate at once since it does harbor beneficial bacteria, and depending on your set-up, it could be significant

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Thanks for the advice everyone. I currently have blue gravel and sand. Had originally chose the blue to cap the sand because I was keeping some of my ebjd's in the tank so I was going with the whole blue theme. Now I have relocated the ebjd's and have gone a different direction with the tank and the unnatural look of the blue is driving me insane. Definitely a good call on removing the old substrate a little at a time for the sake of the beneficial bacteria. Gonna kill my patience level though!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
If you just bag up some of the old substrate and put it back in with the new stuff, you won't have to worry about losing too much of your bb...

My suggestion would be to: pull your stock and large deco out and put them in a crate or two with tank water. Thoroughly gravel vac your existing substrate and pull it out (I prefer a dust pan to pull for this) and bag some of it up (ladies nylon stockings will work in a pinch). Then just add the new substrate you'd like to change to, do a large water change and add everything back to the tank. It may take a little time depending on the tank size but as long as you keep the deco and bagged substrate soaked and have a good amount of bb built up in the tank and filter(s) you shouldn't experience any sort of mini cycle. I've done this on a few tanks, and have never had a problem, just make sure to leave the bagged (old) substrate in for a week or so before you pull it out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store