Tryin to figure out mysterious bichir death

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
So 1 of my favorite bichirs passed this morning, my 15" nigerian endli. :( I just wanna figure out what may have caused this because this is the 2nd time this has happened this year. I've had it for about a month and it was doing great. Ate like a pig, never harassed any of the other bichirs and never was harassed. Last night it all of a sudden just started going crazy constantly smashing into the sides and corners of the aquarium doing barrel roles as it swims and laying upside down when it didn't swim and this morning it was dead. All of the other bichirs are doing fine acting completely normal being their lazy selves. Is there something I could've done to prevent this? The only change was that I did a wc yesterday morning but it didn't start acting up till last night. Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Possible stray voltage?

Sent from my iPear

Reactions: twcp

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
So 1 of my favorite bichirs passed this morning, my 15" nigerian endli. :( I just wanna figure out what may have caused this because this is the 2nd time this has happened this year. I've had it for about a month and it was doing great. Ate like a pig, never harassed any of the other bichirs and never was harassed. Last night it all of a sudden just started going crazy constantly smashing into the sides and corners of the aquarium doing barrel roles as it swims and laying upside down when it didn't swim and this morning it was dead. All of the other bichirs are doing fine acting completely normal being their lazy selves. Is there something I could've done to prevent this? The only change was that I did a wc yesterday morning but it didn't start acting up till last night. Thanks guys

I had a bichir do that exact same thing b4 ...I never did figure out what the cause was ... It just flipped out and died ... Did all the same things yours did

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I lost my moke like this earlier this year, still have no clue what happened. Started spazzing out swimming erratically. Covered the tank for complete darkness, tested water and parameters were in check. Next day she was dead, not sure if it was exhaustion from freaking out for so long or some other factor. I'm sorry for your loss bro

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio

Was it having issues staying up right and was the rear end floating?

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
Damn. I think this has happened to all bichir keepers at some point or another. Sorry to hear.

I think one of the culprits to the "sudden death bichir thingy", is when some bichirs spook, they will crash into anything -- hard, including the window/acrylic panes. Not to say this is what happened to your endli but i saw this happen to one of my bichirs when i had my hand in the tank--- damn thing spooked and hit the side of the window HARD. Looked to be ok. Two days later it died.

Another culprit i believe is parasites that attack the gills. On two separate occasions, i noticed before dying,, how the bichirs gasped for air, lost balance, and swam erratically. Again not saying this is what happened to your endli, just saying i believe this is one of many possible reasons for "sudden bichir death".
I treat new bichirs with prazi pro. Mild and easy on your bio compared to other meds but effective.

Again sorry for your lose.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I am very concerned with parasites in all African fish. Most ssem to have parasites even if they were treated when imported.
I treat with Prazipro and epsom salts about every 6 months. Completely harmless as far as I can tell. Bonus : if they are constipated it cleans them out.
Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Damn. I think this has happened to all bichir keepers at some point or another. Sorry to hear.

I think one of the culprits to the "sudden death bichir thingy", is when some bichirs spook, they will crash into anything -- hard, including the window/acrylic panes. Not to say this is what happened to your endli but i saw this happen to one of my bichirs when i had my hand in the tank--- damn thing spooked and hit the side of the window HARD. Looked to be ok. Two days later it died.

Another culprit i believe is parasites that attack the gills. On two separate occasions, i noticed before dying,, how the bichirs gasped for air, lost balance, and swam erratically. Again not saying this is what happened to your endli, just saying i believe this is one of many possible reasons for "sudden bichir death".
I treat new bichirs with prazi pro. Mild and easy on your bio compared to other meds but effective.

Again sorry for your lose.
The crashing thing does make sense. I wouldn't be surprised if that was what happened. I feel bad cuz this was the endli I got from you man 😔

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store