Can an Eheim heater hold up to cichlids?

saradomin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2014
Canada
Is a Jager durable enough to withstand collisions from an Oscar or Red Devil without the use of a heater guard? Is the "shatterproof" glass actually shatterproof to that point?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I have had "shatterproof" heaters break. I have changed over to all titanium heaters. Currently I am using Finnex that I get from Kens Fish. My oldest are about 3 years old and no failures.

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
I don't have any experience using them, but the guy I bought my aquarium from gave me a 300W one and my friend who was helping me set up the tank told me to throw it away. He had used them and had them shatter. Also he said that of all the heaters he's used, those were the ones that malfunctioned and cooked his fish.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

saradomin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2014
Canada
The LFS's in my area all use Eheim heaters. The Ti heaters seem nice, but the power consumption on the Finnex is two times more than the competing Eheim for similar sized tanks. (500w vs 250w).

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
I use the eheim heater with my big hybrid cichlid and in other tank also,2 yrs no problems. I usually don't trust any big fish with heaters, so I always put heater in a pvc pipe, drilled with extra holes

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store