Your thoughts on Sechem Matrix?

saradomin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2014
Canada
I plan on upgrading my Aquaclears with some Seachem Matrix and if they actually perform as advertised, I will order them as soon as possible.

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
i use this stuff in all my filters. imo it works much better than bio rings and balls. i wont bbuy anything else unless i have to. i cant speak to the size of pond matrix as i have never seen it. but the regular matrix is irregular in shape, it looks like a jar of white rocks. It ranges in size from the biggest chunks maybe about an inch long to a half inch or so. be sure to rinse it before putting in your filter as it generates a lot of dust and grit during shipping.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I had pond matrix in a couple of my ACs and really thought it slowed down the flow. anyone else experience this?

Xia

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
New York
Pond matrix come in assorted sizes ranging from small pieces ranging from .5" to 1.5". I mix them in with the ceramic rings that come with the aqua clear filters. If you are just planning on packing them into the filters without bags be careful because some of the pieces float so they'll end up in the tank

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I am not convinced that Matrix is better than rings. I am convinced that there is better ways to filter. I believe and have also read that both become nearly useless with time. They are both full of extremely small pores that will clog over time. They will clog with mineralization from the bacteria breaking down waste. That means they are only functional on the surface. Bleach will not remove the minerals. Some manufacturers of ceramics, I think Fluval is one, recommend replacing at some interval. I am slowly changing over to poret sponge both in sumps and cannister filters. I no longer use HOB's due to the size of my tanks.
Pond Matrix is about 50% larger than regular. I would not use in an HOB since it would leave to much open area.

PS: I have around 50 liters of used Matrix to sell.

nimahs

Gambusia
Apr 21, 2011
Severna Park, Md
Matrix has gotten great feedback from lots of fishkeepers. It works fine for me, but I don't see what the hype is about. It looks just like the little pieces of driveway gravel my neighbor stuffs his canister with. According to this link it is pumice rock: http://www.fnzas.org.nz/?p=1778 that is guaranteed free of silicates or heavy metal. The two liters I got contained lots of natural variation in size and some of the rocks were shiny smooth black rocks that looked like obsidian. Since those rocks didn't belong it made me question their quality control- some of the Matrix could easily have streaks of something ph-altering. The Matrix generates a lot more grit that Fluval Biomax, which is annoying, though luckily I think the grit is too heavy to get in impellers.

On the other hand it's a little cheaper than the sintered glass substrates (though not too much cheaper, if you get outsize and unusable pieces), and its variable pore size is supposed to be able to support anaerobic and aerobic bacteria (no idea if this is true).

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I am not convinced that Matrix is better than rings. I am convinced that there is better ways to filter. I believe and have also read that both become nearly useless with time. They are both full of extremely small pores that will clog over time. They will clog with mineralization from the bacteria breaking down waste. That means they are only functional on the surface. Bleach will not remove the minerals. Some manufacturers of ceramics, I think Fluval is one, recommend replacing at some interval. I am slowly changing over to poret sponge both in sumps and cannister filters. I no longer use HOB's due to the size of my tanks.
Pond Matrix is about 50% larger than regular. I would not use in an HOB since it would leave to much open area.

PS: I have around 50 liters of used Matrix to sell.
Rodger what size poret foam are you using? Are using as pads or you cutting it up? thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store