Looking for some fairly specific stocking suggestions...

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Ok guys and gals, I'm just about finished cycling my newly rebuilt 40 breeder setup and would really like some suggestions on what fish you would keep in the setup described below. Individual suggestions are fine as well as complete stocking ideas!

Tank is as follows:

40 Breeder

8x turn over

GH - 150

Alkalinity - 40

PH - 6.8 (this may buffer down a bit after adding more plants)

Temperature - 72/76f (no heater, so I'm guessing I'll see some fluctuation, current, temp is 73f)

PFS substrate varying between 1"- 3" deep

Driftwood and light planting (Anubius, Ludwigia and I'll probably add some Java fern)

The tank is being filtered by an aquaponic plant bed as well as a sump dedicated to polishing. The plant bed will be growing one indeterminate tomato plant, basil and if I have the room, I will add some strawberries as well.

...So, needless to say, the traditional lightly stocked, smaller planted tank rules do not apply here. I will need these fish to make a fair amount of waste to keep all the aquatic and terrestrial plants happy (not too much of course).

I'd really like the tank to be "busy", in fact I had originally planned to use 40+ neon tetras and a group of cories but since deciding to ditch the heater, that doesn't look like it'll happen. The fish will have to be plant friendly and I'd prefer not to have to feed live or frozen food in this setup, as I really want to make it as low maintenance as possible. I will also need something that stirs the sand up; I haven't ruled snails out but I'm concerned they may get into the overflow and make their way into the plant bed.

Thanks to everyone for any ideas; I'm so used to keeping ca/sa cichlids that I'm drawing a blank when it comes to stocking this cooler water tank. It's hard not to throw a heater in the sump and stock what I'm used to but I figured by taking the heater outta there I'd be able to mix it up a bit and try something new!

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Possibly some sort of gymnogeophagus?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
How about some balzanis, 1 male 4 females and a bushynose pleco?
:thumbup: to both of these suggestions, I knew the Balzani had a cool down period but didnt know they lived in water that was that cool! I'm tempted to try this but probably 1 male to 2 female with a group of dithers vs the pleco; I'm worried about the pleco hiding too much and maybe even munching on my plants... so any suggestions for dithers: I'm looking for something colorful that would thrive in the 75f range and not get taken out by the Balazni?

Also still open to other suggestions! :D

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Thinking about adding some Buenos Aires tetra with the Balazni for added movement, anyone have this combo?

Also... bump for more cool water suggestions :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store