Any structural engineers? (Will my floor support a 210)

Guinness

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2005
Oak Lawn IL
I'd like to replace my 90 with a 210 on the 1st floor. I have a finished basement underneath where I want the 210. I have 2x10 (1.5x9) joists 16" on center running a 12' span between a load bearing exterior wall and a metal I beam which runs the length of the house. Unfortunately the tank would have to run parallel to the joists, however it would be against an exterior corner with 2 load bearing walls. I'm not sure of the thickness of the subfloor. I have hardwood flooring originally from the mid 70's which was finished for the first time 1 year ago and runs perpendicular to the tank and joists. I think I've added all the relevant info, but let me know if you need more. I understand that are no guarantees or warranties with any info I get on the internet.

Thanks in advance,
Guinness

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I'm not a structural engineer, but I did stay at a HolidayInn Express last night......
Here is a good article on the subject. http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article28.html

My son is a builder and deals with engineers all the time. I had him take care of my floor for the 240. I have hardwood with a subfloor of solid wood running perpendicular to the flooring. Joists are 16" centers that he doubled up from the foundation out for 4 joists from center beam out to foundation. He then built a load bearing wall in the center of the tank. (the basement was then finished with this little 3 foot wall for no apparent reason). My tank runs parallel with the joists. This area of the house is one of the few that doesn't squeak. The house was built in 54.

Devzev

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2014
nyc/nj
For my 240. I put in the basement 2 of the adjustable support post from home depot. About 45 dollars each. You can put a few 2x4 flat on ceiling with the posts beneath

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
Try to get your tank to span two joists. I live in a 80yr old house and have 450g sitting on a 6x3 footprint, 220g sitting on 6x2, 190g on 5x2, and many smaller tanks. All tanks are in a small living room above the basement. I have not noticed any issues. I did however add a few joist supports in the basement.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
My layout was pretty similar but a crawlspace under the home instead of a basement. I sistered the beams that were supporting my tank and used construction adhesive and nailed them together. I added some joist hangers and cross braced. While not an engineered approved set up, I feel confident in its ability to hold the weight. Going on four years....

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
You could double up on the joist that are under the tank, also I would add blocking between the joist this keeps them from twisting. And believe it or not, attaching plywood to the bottom of the joists will also help. In order for one joist to sag it has to pull the others with it. I would also make sure your stand has a flat bottom and doesn't just sit on four legs. This distributes the load more evenly. A 210 is a good size tank but not huge. Figure 2100 lbs over 14 square feet and your only looking at 150 lbs per square foot. I'm not an engineer and can't really say with out seeing it, but I have been a carpenter for almost 30 years. I just put a 70 gallon on the second floor and it sits right in the center of a 18' x 28' span below. I know it's not a 210 but it's ten feet from any bearing wall.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store