Cheap Filter Cartridges

sunfishh

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2008
Fullerton California
I have an Emperor Penguin Filter and the replacement cartridges are really expensive. I use to buy a cheaper off brand replacement from kensfish.com, but they are out of stock. Does anyone have an alternative or DIY solution?

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
I am guessing Gill Blue just took some pieces of sponge and then the equivalent of filter floss/pillow stuffing and "stuffed" them into the filter cartridge portion of the filter. I used to do this. Word of caution, do not overfill the area with sponges/floss as it could cause the filter to overflow (learned from experience). This can also happen if the filter media gets over clogged (also from experience).

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
uploadfromtaptalk1416297576120.jpg

Blue Bonded filter pad. Looks like hvac filters.

Bonded poly batting like for quilting - sold at Walmart and the like works well too

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I've been using these cut to fit pads for the last few years inside canisters and stuff.

It wasnt until probably the last year I started using them in my aqueon HOB. they have the benefit of this little blue holster thing that held the factory filter cartridge.

I'm not too familiar with the penguin/emperor filters. And how these would fit in.

You can always cut a piece of white needlepoint mesh or gutter guard to size and put that in front of the pad to make it keep its shape maybe? I did this with a tetra filter once.

:edit:
FYI these blue pads are fairly coarse and arent the best for water polishing

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
I took this foam, cut t to fit the inside of the penguin, then cut a piece of felt and went from top to bottom, across the bottom, and back to the top with the felt, and slid it down in.
no filter floss.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store