Looking at making a rimless tank

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Thinking of building a rimless tank. Dims would be 36"*24"*20".

Would 1/4" glass be enough?

Or 3/8"?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Even with out being tall? 40breeders are 18" tall and they are rimless and have a similar foot print. They are 1/4" glass.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
They are not rimless, they have the plastic trim around them. They are also 6" shorter in length and 6" more narrow. That length makes a difference when it comes to the glass bowing. The thick glass is for more than just the bowing as well. The thicker the glass you use the more the silicone has to hold onto, obviously a good thing. Plus a store bought tank is made by a professional, they know what they are doing. Any good tank breeder will use at least 1/2" on this tank that you want to build.

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Didn't think the plastic trim made a difference. I can get .5" glass no problem locally. I was just thinking what I had laying around. I was also thinking of making a few other tanks as well. Got some time on my hands and ideas in my head. Just have to put them together. This was/is a practice tank before I build a larger ray tank. That other tank wouldn't be rimless and I could build this one with euro bracing no problem. I just have always like rimless.

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
If I were to use 2" euro bracing 3/8" would work then. I know I have seen it on a few calculators with this thickness. I just remember seeing a taller tank with what looked like 1/4" glass at a shop a little bit ago.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
The plastic does help, a good deal.

It is possible you saw a 1/4" rimless tank. Is it a good idea to copy? Hell no. People do stupid things all the time. Euro braced a build 3/8" should be fine. I would also brace the bottom if I were you. As mentioned, the thicker glass does more than just prevent bowing, it helps give the silicone something to grab onto. Adding an internal bottom brace adds more silicone to help hold the glass.

And I know what you mean, I love the rimless look as well, that is why I have a 93 gallon rimless tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store