Best Position for Placing Overflows

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Hello, I'm purchasing a 12'x3'x2' acrylic tank used. It's not drilled and has 2 external overflows. I really think I'd like to drill it. What are the benefits/drawbacks of drilling the bottom versus the back?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
What I've always wondered about with drilling the drains on the vertical back wall is this -- you have to know exactly where you want the water level to be, and drill that hole in the exact right spot. Too low, or too high, and the water level in the tank is off? I guess you could put an overflow of some type inside the tank, make an internal C2C?

If you drill the holes through the bottom of the tank, then the overflows take up valuable room inside the tank. My tank has overflow towers from top to bottom, holes through the bottom of the tank, and they do take up room in the tank. I guess if I'd known about internal C2C, I should have done that.

Oh well--maybe one day I'll re-do it, plug the holes on the bottom, drill new ones up top through the back of the tank......maybe.

Xia

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
New York
What I've always wondered about with drilling the drains on the vertical back wall is this -- you have to know exactly where you want the water level to be, and drill that hole in the exact right spot. Too low, or too high, and the water level in the tank is off? I guess you could put an overflow of some type inside the tank, make an internal C2C?

If you drill the holes through the bottom of the tank, then the overflows take up valuable room inside the tank. My tank has overflow towers from top to bottom, holes through the bottom of the tank, and they do take up room in the tank. I guess if I'd known about internal C2C, I should have done that.

Oh well--maybe one day I'll re-do it, plug the holes on the bottom, drill new ones up top through the back of the tank......maybe.
The level of the water can be raised if you drill too low by putting an elbow facing up into the bulkhead fitting with a piece of pipe for the desired height. So you wouldn't have to redrill

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have tanks that are drilled on the bottom, on the back, and on the sides.
Whenever I drill now, I drill on the side.
When drilled on the bottom, I believe standard practice is to use a stand pipe.
This can also be somewhat louder toilet flushing sound than banked pipes, (although the herbie double or the triple pipe can remedy that). I also don't like the look or long vertical pipes, and if you need to catch a fish it is a bit difficult to work around.
Whether drilled on the back or sides I suppose, is a personal preference.
Because most of my fish are riverine, the flow of water coming in on one end, and exiting the other appeals to me.
Here are some pics of some of my tanks.
Tank with 2 stand pipes, cap is used to quiet flushing sound.

55 gal drilled on back

side drilled

Some that are drilled on back and sides use up turned PVC elbow as an overflow port, some use simple strainer caps.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
The level of the water can be raised if you drill too low by putting an elbow facing up into the bulkhead fitting with a piece of pipe for the desired height. So you wouldn't have to redrill

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Ahhhh yep. Exactly like I have in my sump. I didn't even think about that.

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Thanks everyone. Good ideas. I like the idea of drilling the back of the tank. I guess my only 2 reservations are you need more space from the wall than if you drill the bottom and if you have a leak access in between the tank and the wall is tougher than being able to lay under the tank. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
put the overflow inside the tank, instead of the outside. so it's a horizontal overflow across the top of the tank, uses up no tank floor space where most of the fish are, and then you put the tank 10-12 inches away from the wall givin you room to work behind the tank, too. INTERNAL coast to coast.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store