Thought on plants in a hap/peacock tank

GaCichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
Georgia
I have a 6' 125 gallon tank was thinking of adding some plants to help filtrate a bit more. Are there any out there that will work well and don't require an expensive light to grow? Currently have carib sand in there with a good bit of lava rocks. I'm moving at the end of the month and switching over to texas holey rock though. I will also add an fx6 so the total filtration will end up being an fx6 and a fx5. Any other info you guys need lemme know

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Generally speaking the anubias family fits your description. Good variety of species. Most are slower growing, not overly needy for light or heavy nutrients.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
As neutrino said, anubias works very well.
I use sand in my cichlid tanks, and find crypts and Vallisneria americana once established do well in the sand, and under my low light situations.

java fern and Bolbitus (African fern) also so well.
A friend of mine uses Bolbitis attached to Texas holey rock for his rift lake species tanks.
more val and crypts

Feeder Fish

Feeder Fish
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2012
USA
I've got a 55g with some holey rock, I must say its pretty expensive especially to ship... But I've had some great experience with crypts, I still have every single one in my 10g that I bought over 2 years ago. Not a single one died or withered.

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
If you are primarily interested in improving water quality with plants (as opposed to making the tank look better), it's hard to beat hornwort, white sprite or hygrophillia.. Float them at the top, then they can get C02 directly from the air. With good lighting, they grow fast and take a lot of the Nitrates out of the water.
I have grown these plants with a single T-12 bulb over the tank, you don't need to spend a lot of light on these.

Anubias and JAva ferns are nice plants for improving the looks of the tank, but they grow slower (especially the Anubias), so that's not going to help as much with improving the water quality (compared to fast growing stem plants). Of course, they will still help somewhat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store