Lost a female ray today, not sure why

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
I came home early this morning from work, fed my rays and watched them eat then when I woke up around 1 pm my female ray was dead in the corner. After looking at her she has no curl, red marks, injuries or anything. I checked my water parameters and everything is in check and all of my other fish are doing great.

She was in a 300g tank with 2 FX5s and a eheim 2262 (the upgraded 900ish gph pump). The only stocking was 2 adult rays, 2 large Indo Dats (10 and 13 in), and 1 20 inch Gar. When I took my female ray out I measured her at 18.5" disk.

A little background on the ray, She was purchased and housed in my tank for about a year and I am not sure on her actual age but she did have at least 2 litters of pups before I received. about 3-4 weeks back she gave birth to four healthy pups and at the end of her pregnancy she quit eating but a few days after birth she began eating again. Up until she passed this morning she was swimming, eating, surfing the glass and acting fine. Basically I am not sure what happened. Could it have been just an age related thing, or not ever fully recovering from the pregnancy?

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Thats a real shame sorry to hear.
Would not have thought it age related as it does not sound as if she was that old?
Maybe you will never know. If she had just had pups a few weeks back had a male in the tank been giving her a hard time since? Stress could be a factor.

sorry for your lost

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
Myself and at least one other member have had rays spaz at feeding time, then seize, then die. Mine had gotten bitten by my male during the previous feeding then when the male approached her at the next feeding she scooted away, leaving her worm, seized, and died.
Neither of us ever discovered an answer.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Sorry to hear. I would guess it was an unknown cause.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Sorry, when its a spontaneous death with unknown symptoms before hand it usually leads to never knowing. Only chance is sending off to a university biology program and hope they can find out.

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
Thats a real shame sorry to hear.
Would not have thought it age related as it does not sound as if she was that old?
Maybe you will never know. If she had just had pups a few weeks back had a male in the tank been giving her a hard time since? Stress could be a factor.

I kept them separated for the first week but then took out the divider. The male never aggravated her more than before but maybe this was to soon? no real bite marks or tears although I did catch him trying to flip her and go after her.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store