Just picked up a killer deal. A 40 gallon!

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I just picked up this 40 gallon and now I need ideas as far as filtration and stocking. I was thinking of just doing a HOB but then I got to thinking of doing a 10 gallon sump. What do you guys think. I never made a sump before so it will all be a new thing to me. Maybe a HOB is easier I don't think I'm capable of making a sump lol. I'm not drilling the tank just doing some simple hob stand pipe type things if I even go with a sump at all.
uploadfromtaptalk1416267333295.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
If I do do a sump I plan to use this 10 gal
uploadfromtaptalk1416275072298.jpg

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I did a 40tall and a 10g sump setup once upon a time. I broke it down a while ago.

uploadfromtaptalk1416293363660.jpg

This is the only pic I have left of the sump. Its not a good one.

It had natives (juvinile bluegill and the like) which I sent down the road recently to a better home.

A 10g is limited. I used a single 1.25 bulkhead to the sump. I ran a 400gph beckett pond pump i got on clearance for next to nothing. I basically put a tray under the drain higher than the tank which was full of bio balls functioning as a wetdry. I later changed it to mechanical filtration since dirty bio balls are a no go.

I had a couple sponge filters, an air pump and a large sponge prefilter on the return pump inside the stand.

A 10g is too small to baffle. You could always just throw some filter bags in there or make some mesh dividers and pile in some pot scrubs. Maybe a heater too if you have tropicals

A 10g has only the room for bare essentials.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
You should do a 20 gallon sump instead. Or 30 would be even better.

10 gallon sump is too small and you have very little room for error. If your power goes out, that 10g sump is going to overflow like crazy and flood your floors. 20g would be much safer. Looks like you've got a lot of room under the stand. Go bigger and be safer.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Speaking from experience I had never had any issues with flooding with my 10g sump. It was set up in my basment for a couple years, often unattended and ignored for days at a time.

The volume of water passing through was relatively small probably 200-300gph. My return was 1/2" and positioned where it would break siphon and drain no more than a gallon or two into the sump during a shut off.

It was probably only 1/2 or 2/3 full at any given time. 5-7 gallons in the sump.

The fluid dynamics are essentially no different than any tank/sump with a 4:1 ratio. A 90g with a 20 long, A 125g with a 30g sump, a 180 with a 40g sump. Albiet thats a less than ideal display to sump ratio but its totally feasible and people do it.

If you can go bigger than a 10g by all means you absolutely should.. however there are no inherent risks with running a small sump such as a 10g. Keep your return where it can only drain back a minimal amount of water and dont keep your sump super full.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Ok thanks for the advice guys. I will be looking things up on how to make a sump XD. I won't Drill the tank however I will make those HOB stand pipe type things like you see on YouTube etc. like I said I'm clueless when it comes to sumps so bear with me because some of the things you guys are saying confuse me a bit. I think after thinking about what you guys have said that I may consider moveing my convict pair into this 40 gallon and make a sump out of my 20 gallon long which my juvinile convict pair are in currently the downside is its a really nice tank the 10 gallon was free and all beat up so I figured what the heck but idk we will see what happens . I will just move the cons to a 145 while I'm in the process of doing this all if I really decide to do the sump. If this all seems really complicated after I research some more than I will just do a HOB. I'm not really trying to go all out and I think that with a tank this small possibly a HOB or canister may accomplish the same.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
A sump is really way over complicating things for a mere 40gal imho. I'd recommend just popping an hob on it and call a day.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
A sump is really way over complicating things for a mere 40gal imho. I'd recommend just popping an hob on it and call a day.
XD I'm starting to realize this...hehe

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I'm just going to order the sun sun 264 gph canister filter. I have heard great things about them. They are rated to 75 gallons and for $22 you can't beat it
uploadfromtaptalk1416353477402.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store