Convict breeding question

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
So I got a convict pair from my bro n law for the sole purpose of breeding for food for my frontosa. Right now I have the pair in a 10 gallon with a second 10 gallon set up as a grow out tank. My question is it is cheaper and easier for me to run my one 50 gallon then the two 10's in terms of heating and filtering can I breed and use my 50 as a "grow out" tank I don't plan on having more then one pair and I plan on taking the fry/babies out when they reach 1/4-1/2 inch to use as feeders

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
Just leave them all in the one 10 gal. Cons will raise the fry no problem I don't see a need for grow out. That's going to be the most economical.

Jgilbert529

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2014
Maine
I had my con pair in a 55 and it looked silly, they don't use all the space but don't allow tank mates. I moved them and half the two month old fry a week ago to a 10 gallon and they seem happy. The other half left in the 55 have disappeared sense I introduced a 5" oscar lol

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
You should be done feeding them all by that time. My cons would go about every 3-4 weeks if I let them. If you let the fry age much more then that, their dorsal fins start getting spiny.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
To answer your question - no - the old fry just stay in the tank. But yes, spines are more of a problem, especially with other cichlids - It's not so much a problem with fish with large mouths that can just "gulp." I don't really see a reason to feed something like Frontosas live fish.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Good thing cuz they will be frozen then fed.... I'm just looking at ways to add a little variety to the diet, some NLS pellets as a staple, some frozen fish, some blood worms and what ever else I find

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Good thing cuz they will be frozen then fed.... I'm just looking at ways to add a little variety to the diet, some NLS pellets as a staple, some frozen fish, some blood worms and what ever else I find

That sounds horrific

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store