Ladybugs/ladybird beetles for food?

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
I've done some surfing but not been able to find anything conclusive, including an old MFK thread, so I'm asking; are Ladybugs/Ladybird beetles safe as fish food?

We've had a tremendous hatch in Western PA this fall (they are everywhere!) and I keep evacuating them from my living room (don't wanna kill them without reason 'cause they are great for controlling aphids and some other garden pests) but if they are safe for fish food I thought they might be a nice change of pace for my fish. (Side note; my yard seems to be a haven for Praying Mantises too.)

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Many fish WON'T touch them due to distastefulness of lady beetles. I know hatchery trout will eat them but then again hatchery trout are incredibly stupid that they will eat anything from rocks to rubber worms to cigarette butts.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Three observations from a large infestation some years in Kentucky: 1) had a number of them in a house and noted that touching them left an unpleasant smell. 2) One fell into a cup of coffee unnoticed and one sip had a bad taste. 3) Found a few in tanks from time to time and noted that the fish did not try to eat them.

My best guess is that they will be rejected as food. In addition, if a large fish happened to take one there may be a toxin not so good for fish. Insects with brite coloration can have a chemical defense that ranges from unpleasant to toxic. I never tried to feed them to any fish as I did not know for sure. If your outbreak is a big one there may be a few in the tanks by accident.

I was more hardnosed about the infestation. I used a shop vac to collect those that made it into the house and there were a lot of them. One way to look at it is that the ones in your house have done their job of eating pests from the previous warm season. Those pests are not an issue until next season. All that the lady bugs need is for enough to make it thru the winter to have a sufficient reproducing population next spring. My guess is that there will be more than enough lady bugs around next spring even if you kill the ones in your home.

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
Thanks for the good points guys, I think I'll avoid trying to introduce them to my fishes diets. I just pulled another one off my sleeve like 5 minutes ago, there are so many!

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I had an infestation years ago. I tried feeding them to my Montium chameleons and they all ate just one and never ate another. I noticed the sour smell described too. I suspect they must taste awful

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
Thanks everybody...I completely forgot that the color red is normally a warning color in nature, saying "You better not eat me!" :)

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I live north of pittsburgh...they are bad here every year. I have 2 open top tanks, a 40B with my native sunfish and darters and one lonely stickleback, and my bullhead tank. They fell in those tanks by the dozens...and if my bullhead didn't want anything to do with them, chances are no other fish in the US will touch them haha.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I live in western pa as well (pittsburgh suburb) and I haven't seen a lady buy since the spring. Wonder why if everyone else is getting them bad since my house isn't the tightest one and I couldn't stop stinkbugs last year.

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
Hi neighbors! I realized there was a strong "hatch" when I was fishing in moraine State park about a month ago, and I and my gear were constantly covered with Ladybugs. My yard normally has a strong population (and the mantises, and Wolf Spiders, and spider hunting wasps), but there were more than normal inside the house over the last couple of weeks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store