UV Sterilizers

Xia

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
New York
I would go with the 2nd option if you are already running a sump, it would be a quick setup to run it inline with the return line. But if you don't have a sump number one would be the route id take. They both seem like they'll be enough for the 120

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

souzie

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I would go with the 2nd option if you are already running a sump, it would be a quick setup to run it inline with the return line. But if you don't have a sump number one would be the route id take. They both seem like they'll be enough for the 120

Thanks for your input.

The tank is running on 2 Emperor 400's and a Hydro Pro V sponge filter.

Would I be able to achieve level 1 sterilization with the first option?

Xia

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
New York
Did a little reading about level 1 and 2 sterilization and it's hard to tell whether or not the first choice would be able to achieve level 1. Involves gph and exposure times and the page doesn't really seem to provide any of that except for the rating of up to 250 gallons. But based off the reading majority of the uv sterilizers are rather uv clarifiers and may not necessarily protect the fish from bacteria etc.

This is the article I read hopefully it'll help you pick a level 1 uv if that's your main goal

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/aquariumuvsterilization.html

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
I wouldn't recommend any of the two you're considering.
The first one which is in tank takes up valuable tank space and will most likely over heat your water. You also risk frying your fish if water gets into the electrical.
The second is a poorly made UV from China. Body is made of plastic which will degrade from UV exposure. The bulb is a compact which is less effective then the T5 or T8 straight bulb.
I would recommend a AquaUltraviolet unit and size it to your flow rate and fish you're keeping. I don't think you need more than a 25W.

souzie

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Did a little reading about level 1 and 2 sterilization and it's hard to tell whether or not the first choice would be able to achieve level 1. Involves gph and exposure times and the page doesn't really seem to provide any of that except for the rating of up to 250 gallons. But based off the reading majority of the uv sterilizers are rather uv clarifiers and may not necessarily protect the fish from bacteria etc.

This is the article I read hopefully it'll help you pick a level 1 uv if that's your main goal

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/aquariumuvsterilization.html

Thanks...I did read that article before I posted. But I have to admit, it's a little over my head lol :eek:

souzie

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I wouldn't recommend any of the two you're considering.
The first one which is in tank takes up valuable tank space and will most likely over heat your water. You also risk frying your fish if water gets into the electrical.
The second is a poorly made UV from China. Body is made of plastic which will degrade from UV exposure. The bulb is a compact which is less effective then the T5 or T8 straight bulb.
I would recommend a AquaUltraviolet unit and size it to your flow rate and fish you're keeping. I don't think you need more than a 25W.
Thanks for your reply.

What do you think of this one? It would need to be hooked up to a circulation pump, right?

http://www.marinedepot.com/Aqua_UV_...zers-Aqua_Ultraviolet-AV1111-FIUVUUET-vi.html

I'd really like to reach level 1 sterilization. I understand it won't kill all bacteria or parasites but a little protection is better than none.

My tank houses a 12 inch Flowerhorn. A naturally weak fish so he could use all the help he could get.

What wattage would you recommend for the AquaUltraviolet?

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Thanks for your reply.

What do you think of this one? It would need to be hooked up to a circulation pump, right?

http://www.marinedepot.com/Aqua_UV_...zers-Aqua_Ultraviolet-AV1111-FIUVUUET-vi.html

I'd really like to reach level 1 sterilization. I understand it won't kill all bacteria or parasites but a little protection is better than none.

My tank houses a 12 inch Flowerhorn. A naturally weak fish so he could use all the help he could get.

What wattage would you recommend for the AquaUltraviolet?
Yes, it will need a circulating pump. Ultimately, you want to turn the tank volume one time per hour and achieve a UV dosage of 50mJ/cm^2. The wattage needed must be calculated. I will see if I can find the dimensions for the calc.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Here it is. The 8W AquaUltraviolet you are considering with a pump flow rate of 120 gph will only yield a dosage of 37.89mJ/cm^2. Not enough. Go to a 15W and you should be okay.
souzie.JPG

souzie.JPG

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Forgot to mention the above is probably considered Level 1.
Level 2 is 50mJ/cm^2 and above.
You can weigh the price difference between 8W to 15W in determining which level to go with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store