Datnoid with worms on body?

49ersfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2013
Bay Area, CA
Found my small odd bar with what looks like worms hanging off his body, started about 2 days ago. Now my 3 bar has it on him also, I have no idea what this is and haven't added anything new, also do not feed live. Water parameters are perfect. Any advice on what it is or how to treat would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1416285197861.jpg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yep,prazi or coppersafe should eradicate the worms.

49ersfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2013
Bay Area, CA
OK I'll start with prazi tonight, any ideas on where they could come from? Don't believe it is over feeding, I'm very good about making sure no left over food is left in the tank.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
If they are some type of parasitic worm I'd lean against over feeding being the cause of their presence.One of the fish could have already been carrying the parasites when you brought it home.

49ersfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2013
Bay Area, CA
Nothing new, same stock, 3 baby dats and 2 sirens. Just broke off live about a month ago maybe the worms from the ghost shrimp I used to feed?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It might be a good idea to relocate those sirens while you treat the tank.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
identify the worm. If they're anchor worms prazi may not kill them. You'll need diflubenzurone aka dimilin. Or the new version dimilin X. Parasite guard by tetra also contains it, along with 3 other ingredients (prazi, Metro, acriflavone) that are a bit overkill together imo and costs a lot because you have to buy in tab packets. Dimilin cheap online. Anchor worms spilt and have two "tails" on them

If it's planaria, nearly nothing will kill them. You'll have to reduce feeding, increase cleaning and keep water super fresh and wait. They're numbers will die down as the food sources dwindle. They're not parasitic. They can cruise on fish but won't imbed like anchor worm. Seen mostly on the glass and swimming in water.

Hard to see anything in picture. Easier to see when in water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store