150 gal setup

Sac39051

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2012
Sacramento, Ca
Back in the game after long aquarium hiatus...ready to start a brand new 150 gal set up, and this guy=overwhelmed so bear with me:)

I am starting from scratch and I own absolutely no fish related equipment. This tank will be my living room show tank so I decided I like the footprint of a 125 with a few extra inches of height, hence the 150 gal. System must be quiet and clutter free when being viewed (do not want things hanging off of or out of tank) and I would like the easiest method of filter maintenance (IMO canisters are a pain in the ass, but I have never dealt with a sump so I can't really compare).

First dilemma, I need to buy a tank...good god have they gotten expensive (and elusive it seems). But to do that I need to decide if I i am going with a sump system (and therefore need tank predrilled with built in overflow boxes) or do 2x Fx6's/2x 2262's. Never had a sump system and am essentially clueless, but I like the idea of limiting tubes/equip inside the tank as well as potentially perfect filtration (if i figure out what I am doing). But I also like the idea of the 2 canisters because they are quiet and I could clean the hell out of them on a rotating basis and hopefully not worry about screwing up my bio.

Next dilemma, store bought stands terrify me...I have no idea how they can support so much weight made out of 1" boards stapled together. The store bought stands also don't seem like I would be able to fit a big enough sump system into based on the opening widths, but I don't really know. I could build my own stand/canopy but I would have to buy a few tools to do the finish work in order to make it look "living room nice." And by making it sturdy I could probably work in bigger front openings which would allow me to insert bigger equipment.

If you've made it this far I appreciate it! Really want your opinions because at this point I am stumped and I would really like to get things rolling. I can get the tank size i want that is drilled at both ends with boxes, but supposedly the holes are only 1" and I'm worried that will not allow for enough flow...but again I have no idea about sump systems yet.

Thanks all, i appreciate your thoughts as I am sure I have not thought about all the angles yet!

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
In regards to the stand, you always have the option of hiring a finish carpenter to build you one if you're looking for show quality and you don't mind paying shelling out for the expense of it.

TimnKasey

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2014
Norman, OK
My local Craigslist will have good deals on tanks a lot of the time. People that got carried away with buying before they realized what they were getting into...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
my 245 has a 1" drain and a 3/4" return and it's fine. no problem with around 1100GPH (laguna 1300) though I usually running closer to 600.
my vote is far and away in favor for a sump over a cannister.
my stand is scary flimsy too, but no problems.

Sac39051

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2012
Sacramento, Ca
Thx for the input guys, I'm glad to hear a 1" drain is all good...ordered an aqueon 150 drilled. It was pricey, but I was having a hard time justifying buying a used, beat up CL tank for not that cheap. I decided I will build the stand and buy the few more tools to so the finishing work. Plan on making a 55 gallon sump, the more I read the more I am understanding the sump game

Thx for the responses folks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store