DHA Omega 3/6 ?

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
Is anyone on this forum supplementing their fishes diets ( pellet or fresh) with an additive like Selecon ? or Brightwell Amino and Omega HUFA?
If so have you noticed any improvements in coloring , health , size? looking for feedback from actual users negative or positive?American-Marine-Selcon-60-mL-99.jpg

American-Marine-Selcon-60-mL-99.jpg

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Not any of those products but seachem nourish I had good luck with. I felt my fish were healthier and more colorful

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Waste of money if one is feeding a quality pellet food, but if only feeding fresh/frozen it's always a good idea to supplement with a liquid vitamin. (presoaking the food) When doing so I prefer Boyd Vitachem.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4998

I can't really add anything with regards to an improvement in color or overall health as I begin using it immediately on any species that can't be pellet trained, but the science certainly backs up the need for supplementation for piscivores kept in captivity and fed fresh/frozen as the main staple, especially vitamin C , E, and thiamin. (B1) A good read on that subject.

http://nagonline.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/NAG-FS005-97-Fish-JONI-FEB-24-2002-MODIFIED.pdf

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
Waste of money if one is feeding a quality pellet food, but if only feeding fresh/frozen it's always a good idea to supplement with a liquid vitamin. (presoaking the food) When doing so I prefer Boyd Vitachem.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4998

I can't really add anything with regards to an improvement in color or overall health as I begin using it immediately on any species that can't be pellet trained, but the science certainly backs up the need for supplementation for piscivores kept in captivity and fed fresh/frozen as the main staple, especially vitamin C , E, and thiamin. (B1) A good read on that subject.

http://nagonline.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/NAG-FS005-97-Fish-JONI-FEB-24-2002-MODIFIED.pdf
tnx for links...I believe in in a variety of foods for both humans and pets as a key for optimum health. A couple of my fish are growing beyond any commercial pet food pellet as a single source of food ( pellets too small ) .. I have used baby vitamin drops on thawed frozen food , I usually stuff the piece of meat with a few Hikari sticks as well..was concerned about essential oils /fats.. those oils usually oxidize first when food has been processed. Need to find more information, unfortunately not a lot of white papers on optimum nutrition on aquarium fish. it has to be gleaned off of aquaculture studies.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I have no issue with anyone who wants to feed a variety of foods to their fish, just keep in mind that most high quality commercial pellets are made from a wide variety of raw ingredients.

Either way, no need to add "extra" fatty acids to fresh/frozen fish, nor to a high quality commercial feed. Vitamins is a different story.

If you really want to see to see some massive fish raised on a strict diet of pellets, visit a commercial sturgeon/caviar farm sometime. 8-10+ft fish, weighing from 100-200 pounds, all raised on a strict diet of commercial aquaculture feed since they were YOY. It's a multi-million dollar industry, with some of the primo caviar selling for as much as $5,000 a pound at a retail level. Also keep in mind that it can take over 10 yrs for a female to mature in captivity, so these commercial farms spare no costs in raising these fish to their maximum potential, and in optimum health.

If you are mostly feeding fresh/frozen, I would focus on supplementing vitamins, the fresh/frozen fish will supply all of the fatty acids required.

HTH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store