Unexpected eggs

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
I recently moved a pair of my blue gene jd's into my 125g in the living room because they hadn't been spawning in my "lab/basement" so I figured might as well enjoy them upstairs. Well I cleaning and doing a WC I decided to rearrange some decor. Was moving a piece of driftwood and didn't realize until I starting getting attacked that I was rubbing a bunch of their eggs off of it! Idiot! So I quickly replaced it and there's maybe a couple dozen left. Now I'm just wondering if I should remove them or basically just wait it out. Knowing they'll probably just eat them and start over.(which may have already happened while I'm in the other room writing this)????uploadfromtaptalk1416345857888.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Well...parents haven't gobbled up the leftover eggs and are still being protective over them so I guess I'll leave them til they hatch and begin free swimming! Pretty excited...this could be my first spawn in many months with the possibility of ebjd fry.

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Well...guess mom and dad scrapped the first spawn but they got right back on the saddle! Came home from work today and caught them in action.uploadfromtaptalk1416707606954.jpg

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Nice! What are their tankmates? JDs normally do a good job of guarding eggs and fry but if you have lots of quick fish that they might not be able to catch, I wouldnt expect many survivors. If you can, I'd seperate all of the other tankmates (if possible) and let the pair guard the fry/eggs in peace. If you do that about 25% of the fry will be electric blues assuming both parents are heterozygous with the EB gene (gene carriers).
Good luck!

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Nice! What are their tankmates? JDs normally do a good job of guarding eggs and fry but if you have lots of quick fish that they might not be able to catch, I wouldnt expect many survivors. If you can, I'd seperate all of the other tankmates (if possible) and let the pair guard the fry/eggs in peace. If you do that about 25% of the fry will be electric blues assuming both parents are heterozygous with the EB gene (gene carriers).
Good luck!
Thanks! They're actually in a fairly heavily stocked tank but have everyone else pushed to the opposite side of the tank. Been breeding the Jack's for a few years now and from my experience the most successful spawns I've produced is when I remove the stone with the eggs just before they hatch and grow them out in a nursery tank. I think this is especially true when dealing with the extremely delicate EBJD's. I think most would die off if left with parents and siblings.

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Thanks! I'm very excited! Its been over a year since my last successful batch of ebjd's! These are from the last batch I raised from this pair.uploadfromtaptalk1417005909815.jpg

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Congrats on the wigglers!
Thanks! I'm very excited! Its been over a year since my last successful batch of ebjd's! These are from the last batch I raised from this pair.View attachment 1049106

:drool: Got any that look like those for sale? They look incredible!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store