Leaving seahorse for a week

AquaticAustin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
I have had my seahorse tank set up for around 5 months now and I am for the first time going to leave it for 7-10 days with no one to really watch after it for me.
Tank is 40 gallons, 1 seahorse, 1 pipefish, 1 large hermit crab, 7 or 8 tiny blue leg hermits, and a mandarin goby so it is a pretty light stock load.

The seahorse ONLY eats live grass shrimp, the pipefish and goby eat frozen mysis shrimp. The tank was seeded with tigger pods a good month or so before the goby was introduced so I am assuming/hoping that there are still some of those. I always see the goby swimming around the rocks and eating at it so I think im still good on that front. My real concern is with leaving the seahorse for this time period. I hand feed it shrimp but he is also pretty good at catching them on his own in the tank when they escape from my net.

If I feed him a few shrimp before I leave and add 10 or so shrimp to the tank for him to catch during the week should he be ok?

I also have a 165g freshwater tank with assorted south americans but I know they can all go a week w/o eating.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Usually you do not want to add excess food because this will only increase bioload. However, with that light stock and shrimps ability to hide (unlike feeder goldfish) I think feeding the sea horse and then adding some shrimp around the tank may work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store