New build idea

cleddau

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 27, 2007
Wales
Hi guys an gals
I've been a forum member for some time now, looking and drooling at the beautiful tanks on here, always wishing I could do that too.... Well I've decided to take the plunge! I've looked at tons of different tanks and love the idea of a drop off. I've been thinking of something different however.

plywood1.png

I'm very new to Sketchup Pro, so please bear with me! The ledges are 3'x2'x2' each side of the drop off with the central section 4'x2x'4'. I'm going to use 30mm acrylic, with the corners rounded, at the drop off junction, to reduce any corner point stress.

Thoughts would be most appreciated.

plywood1.png

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Im a fan of the drop off look; however if it were me, I'd only add the drop to one side to allow more swimming space. (Just my $.02 of course)

Make sure to post pics of the build!

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
I would keep it simple, go normal rectangle and then you can scape it that way after the fact with rocks, ect. Have two prominent positive exposed angles like that seems like they would be vulnerable to wearing through whatever sealant that you use.

cleddau

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 27, 2007
Wales
I would keep it simple, go normal rectangle and then you can scape it that way after the fact with rocks, ect. Have two prominent positive exposed angles like that seems like they would be vulnerable to wearing through whatever sealant that you use.
My bad on the sketchup, I'd planned on rounding those edges as I will be fibre glassing the inside.

plywood4.png

plywood4.png

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
one of my concerns would be to many dead spots in the tank

cleddau

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 27, 2007
Wales
This is what I'm going to be aiming for - you'll understand why I want it built this way hopefully

plywood5.png

plywood5.png

rotaryblake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2013
Red Deer
Oh ya, I totally get why you want to build it this way, but wouldn't it be easier to build a rectangle and then construct the drops out of acrylic or something and silicone them in? You could do some cool caves and by drilling holes and putting in a caped piece of pvc or maybe make some tunnels by connecting two holes? Ha ha, just throwing ideas out there man. Either way its going to be a bad ass tank.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
I think that the glass cut that way would be seriously weaker over a rectangle also.. not to mention the risk of even cutting it like that in the first place.

Still very doable. As long as you know that you'll be dealing with two inherent weaknesses and compensate accordingly...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store