GT and Oscar

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Has anyone grown a juvenile GT with a juvenile Oscar?

I'm tempted to do it in my 90 gal, but wondered if the Oscar would overtake and swallow the GT.

Oscar is 3 inches, GT is 1.5 inches

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jgilbert529

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2014
Maine
I have a gt and oscar right now. Oscar is 5" and gt about 2.5-3" the gt is so fast he just scoots away when the oscar gets close. Neither seem to have a territory but I suggest caves so the gt can rest.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1416353579.210373.jpg

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Really nice fish there JGilbert...its a corner tank I have, not the best footprint, but the idea is to have a centre root so that the fish can swim around it, if I could find the right bit of wood with a hidey space for the GT it would be ideal. The search continues!

BassetsForBrown

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2012
Boston
I dealt with your exact situation several months ago. What happened for me was that at about 5 inches, the GT started being aggressive toward the O, and by 6 inches, it started getting into open mouthed confrontations with the O, almost like they were kissing. The O was 9 inches.... I have since donated the GT to a friend with a more appropriate home for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I dealt with your exact situation several months ago. What happened for me was that at about 5 inches, the GT started being aggressive toward the O, and by 6 inches, it started getting into open mouthed confrontations with the O, almost like they were kissing. The O was 9 inches.... I have since donated the GT to a friend with a more appropriate home for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Urggg :( I do have another long tank fortunately, that I could grow the GT in. Basically I'm having to re-assess my whole stock cause I'm moving shortly.

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
Tried it and my Oscar tried to eat him. Gt should be to big for at least a middle sized Oscar to try

Sent from my VS840 4G

FIU Panther

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
South Florida
I'm actually trying that right now in a 125.

I have a GT and Oscar that are roughly the same size at about 3"-3.5" inches that I'm growing out along with a bunch of other juvenile fish. They've (GT/Oscar) had their minor skirmishes already, but seem to tolerate each other for now.

I will be visiting the LFS quite often as I start to trim down my stocking as they grow.

Give it a try, a GT and Oscar as tankmates is not unheard of. I think your biggest concern is going to be the footprint of the 90g with two big fish in it.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I'm actually trying that right now in a 125.

I have a GT and Oscar that are roughly the same size at about 3"-3.5" inches that I'm growing out along with a bunch of other juvenile fish. They've (GT/Oscar) had their minor skirmishes already, but seem to tolerate each other for now.

I will be visiting the LFS quite often as I start to trim down my stocking as they grow.

Give it a try, a GT and Oscar as tankmates is not unheard of. I think your biggest concern is going to be the footprint of the 90g with two big fish in it.
I'm tempted to, but cause its a corner tank its probably compounding matters. Basically I have a 90 gal corner, and a 50 foot long tank (4.5 feet) at my disposal, so I'm probably safer keeping the GT in the 50 and Oscar in the 90.

I'll also be visiting the LFS a few times to trim stock lol, but hopefully not too much.

FIU Panther

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
South Florida
I'm tempted to, but cause its a corner tank its probably compounding matters. Basically I have a 90 gal corner, and a 50 foot long tank (4.5 feet) at my disposal, so I'm probably safer keeping the GT in the 50 and Oscar in the 90.

I'll also be visiting the LFS a few times to trim stock lol, but hopefully not too much.

Didn't read the part about it being a corner tank. I think your idea of one in each is the best bet. You can always try a smaller tankmate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store