2nd floor condo

snake_charmer

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2006
Michigan
I was just approved to have a fish tank in a no pet community, so I'm pretty excited that was negotiated. I said it was more along the lines of a piece of furniture...lol
Anyways, I am on the second floor and the building seems on the older side, guessing 80's. The room is also on the smaller side so I'm leaning towards a 54 gal corner, 72 gal bowfront or 90 gallon. They make a 92 gallon corner tank but it would be hard to find in my price range. I'll try to post a picture in a second of the room.

I'm trying terribly to get back into the hobby after so many years away from this site, it was awful without FISH!!!

image.jpg

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I go the 90, or 75, nether should be an issue. long as water stays in the tank. :ROFL:

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Lol,agreed.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; you may have already considered renters insurance. If not, it may be a money saver down the road.

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
90G cube!

If not get the biggest NEWEST tank you can afford. Go a little overboard with your stand, give it lots of stability and a super flat surface to set it on and your set!

If you use a canister, place it in a large tub in the stand, this will go a long way towards keeping water off the floor. I've had an AC110 pop the lid and leak to the floor. I've had sumps overflow too, Canasters - i've had leak at fittings and such, but those are visible when you service them.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I really liked my standard 4ft 75g. I loved the dimensions and it was still really easy to work inside.

If your concerned about water hitting the floor I'd bite the bullet and buy a new tank, I dunno how tank prices are where you live but new tanks arent much more expensive than used ones in my area. Thay being said a new tank isnt. 100% guaranteed. I just bought a brandnew AGA 90g and the workmanship is far better than any of my older tanks.

I wouldn't sweat the weight issue. Just make sure the stand is square and the floor is level. Your in a corner. Corners are always a good thing.

Ive replaced the plumbing on my canisters with braided pvc tubing with sched40 unions and ball valves after I had a factory valve break in half on an eheim canister.

I live in an apartment too. +1 on renters insurance. If you drill that baby, put an extra hole or 2 in it. Just my $.02

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

snake_charmer

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2006
Michigan
90G cube!

If not get the biggest NEWEST tank you can afford. Go a little overboard with your stand, give it lots of stability and a super flat surface to set it on and your set!

If you use a canister, place it in a large tub in the stand, this will go a long way towards keeping water off the floor. I've had an AC110 pop the lid and leak to the floor. I've had sumps overflow too, Canasters - i've had leak at fittings and such, but those are visible when you service them.
Really great tips you gave here, thank you. I have (2) ac 110 filters in storage I had planned on using to start and the nice, black, plastic 300w heaters that I can't remember the brand of right now. I used an fx5/ac110 combo on the 150 gal I had but used magnum/ac110 combo on the 90 gal. If I recall I did have a leak issue with the magnum 360 (don't recall why).
I'm leaning towards another 90 gallon though. The prices really are a lot better used from my experience. My previous 90 gallon was purchased used and came with a beautiful stand and filters for $200. I'm also probably going to stay with the over the back style tank versus drilled.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I would get ether 110 tall or a 150 that is 48X24X36 tall if the tank is going across floor joist should be no problem with bearing load.Floor joist usually run in the same direction as the raffters

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store