Seeking scholarly reference for Red Eared Slider turtle habitats

BPinWV

Feeder Fish
Nov 8, 2014
WV
Hello,

I'm caring for an overpopulated turtle tank at a local college. Four mature Red Eared Sliders in 25 gallon tank. I'm trying to convice a few professors that these conditions are an embarrassment, and the turtles need to be relocated.

I've searched extensively and mostly what I have found on the internet is either to general or too technical and doesn't address the basics. I'm looking for something I can show these professors, something they will respect.

Preferably I'd like to have something written by a PHd, someone with some certification. A book, a journal article, or a web page written by a PHd.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
BPinWV

RMorrow

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2010
Missouri
You can do a google scholar search and that will often yield some good info. Also you can go to the Emporia State website and look up professor Brent Thomas, he did most of his doctoral work in sliders and slider behavior.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
4 mature res in 25 gallons of water? It's not possible. A mature male is about 7-8" and about 2-3" tall.
I don't understand how they move in 25 gallons of water. These are males I'm referring to. Female are closer to 12".
You shouldn't need something written by a doctor to show them they need a bigger tank. By presenting repeating information from various sources should be enough.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

RMorrow

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2010
Missouri
^^^ I completely agree with the previous statements!! Common sense alone should be all that is necessary, but I do know that some of these college instructors can have a bit of a chip on their shoulders when challenged. Sometimes their pride trumps their common sense.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store